this moment brought to you by zoonoses.

After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on Earth.

In a world where few things remain safe or sacred, people tend to cling to their limited sources of comfort. Chief among these for many is often a beloved pet, whose loving smooches (or, in the case of this Clogger’s cat, haughty indulgences in your enraptured cooing) provide sound reassurance that something in this life appreciates the fact that you exist.

Which of course makes it awkward if that something brings about your untimely death.

UC Davis veterinary professor Bruno Chomel’s recent study warns dog- and cat-owners to be wary of excessive snog action — giving or receiving — and bed-sharing with their pets. Such seemingly innocent, albeit occasionally creepy, activity renders humans vulnerable to crazy diseases called zoonoses, which sounds to us like something out of a Dr. Seuss book.

Resultant afflictions (including everything from the plague — yes, The Plague — to scary stuff we’d never heard of, like meningitis) range from “mundane to life-threatening.” That’s quite the spectrum, sir. Yet legit though this research may be, we’re inclined to view it as somewhat in keeping with many a media scare responsible for inspiring hypochondriacs everywhere to retreat further into their germ-fearing bubbles.

Be that as it may, maybe next time you start to head to second base with your Schnauzer, take a second to consider your health (not to mention your dignity) and just, you know, don’t.

Image Source: ming de nasty under Creative Commons
UC researcher warns against kissing pets and sharing beds with them [Mercury News]
Earlier: How James Cameron Actually Got Something Right

Mateusz Czerwinski said: