3177633040_e3552febc7

After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on Earth.

According to UC Berkeley scientists, humanity as a whole is currently earning itself one of the most f*cked-up distinctions possible: We are apparently bringing about the sixth mass extinction that there has ever been — and the only one that can be attributed to the actions of a single stupid species.

Well. Isn’t that a doozy of an accusation. The qualifier of a mass extinction is that 75 percent of species must be eliminated within a “short” period (between a few hundred thousand years to a few million years).” 75 percent? This is a little too mind-boggling for words.

What’s more, researchers say the rate at which this extinction is progressing is at least 3 to 12 times faster than what has historically been “normal” — in just the last 200 years, for instance, we’ve managed to kill off about two percent of the earth’s species. Assuming the slowest hypothetical pace, it puts us at mass extinction status in 2,200 years, although the actual rate will probably be quite a bit more speedy.

We imagine that the consequences will be rather grim.

Image Source: jpmckenna under Creative Commons
Report: Humans in the Midst of Causing Planet’s Sixth Mass Extinction [DailyTech]
Earlier: We’re Dreaming of a White February