5352407939_7cf8418ba0_m

Go to class at your own risk. Not to make readers paranoid, but scary stuff goes on when buildings finally cave after their years of standing. A major pipe burst Monday evening at McCone Hall, resulting in a four-f00t deep flood.

The building had to be evacuated. Sure, these campus buildings are absolutely beautiful and classic looking, but have you ever walked into these buildings, and noticed dust inside the heating vents, mold on the staircases, and tidbits of construction that look unstable? Floods are bad enough, but in the case that anything worse happens, let’s hope efforts can be renewed to provide safety and quality for all.

Image Source: Elspeth and Evan Under Creative Commons
McCone Hall Evacuated as Burst Pipe Causes Flood [Daily Cal]

Transparency said:

Instead of using funds for preventative maintenance Chancellor Birgeneau has elected to spend $ on consultants so he and his vice-chancellors do not have to do the work of their jobs.
It’s not that Birgeneau was unaware that there were, in fact, waste and inefficiencies in the system. Faculty and staff have raised issues with senior management for 8 years, but when they failed to see relevant action taken, they stopped. Finally, Birgeneau ($500,000 salary) engaged some expensive ($7.2 million) consultants to tell him what he should have been able to find out from the bright, engaged people in his own organization.
Cal money being spent in the wrong way: more floods to come