mindfulThe phrase, “Live in the moment,” has grown to lose its meaning over the years. After all, how exactly does one go about acting out this popular phrase? Well, it turns out a new study has discovered just how to “live in the moment” along with its numerous health benefits .

Living in the moment, also known as mindfulness, is a state of actively focusing one’s attention on the present. This act of being mindful reduces stress, boosts immunity, and increases levels of happiness in addition to fighting depression. We understand that these days, the mind of a college student is chaotic, dwelling on the past and worrying about the future, but with benefits like these, we’re thinking you might want to take these four simple steps to being mindful:

1.Stop thinking about it: Thinking too much about your task at hand actually makes you perform worse, whether it’s a speech or an IM game. Instead of tuning into your mental chatter, concentrate on the movements and energy in the room around you. This will help you avoid concentrating on dramatic thoughts and reduce over thinking (something we’re all guilty of).

2. Savor the moment: Too often, we eat our food only to think that it wasn’t as good as last week or drink our coffee, worrying that we’re still thirsty and are almost out. Instead of doing this, psychologists recommend that we relish our sensory experiences — be it taking a shower, listening to music, or laying idly in the sun. Those who take a little time to actively savor their experiences everyday have reported a spike in positive emotions.

3. Accept negative emotions: We humans do a funny thing where we stress about stress. There’s a reason the first step of grief is denial — because we cannot accept negative emotions. Instead of avoiding pain or stress, experts recommend you accept it. Understand that sadness is normal after a break-up or that you’re going to be stressed until you start your chemistry homework. All emotions are beautiful, so embrace ‘em!

4. Notice new things: Have you ever noticed how you space out when you take the same route to class everyday? Well, stop it! Psychologists recommend you try to notice a fresh new quality of your everyday routine, such as your walk to class. Noticing new things is coined as, “the beginners mind,” and links to heightened levels of excitement in individuals.

Image Source: the half-blood prince under Creative Commons
Earlier: Study for Midterms
The Art of Now: Six Steps to Living in the Moment [Psychology Today]

ed mccarren said:
Jul 27, 2011 at 9:46 am

it seems to be working for depresion