3380660968_23b9f0f0cd

Needless to say, we have ASUC on the brain, what with elections plus the conspicuous absence of certain parties from certain forums ( … forumni? forae?) and all.

Political bitterness aside, the initiative to end bottled water sales on UC Berkeley’s campus has also become quite the hot topic — “hot” also being our way of commenting on the freakishly warm weather of late. Dehydration is no one’s friend; but do you know what is? Waste diversion, if the Sustainability Team has anything to say about it.

The “End the Sale of Bottled Water” initiative would theoretically advance us toward the goal of zero-waste by the end of the decade. It also calls for an increased number, and the improved maintenance of, water fountains on campus.

There are those, however, who think it would cause more harm than good, due to such issues as the health risks associated with tap water; moreover, ASUC Auxiliary Director Nadesan Permaul noted that the initiative fails to account for how “funding that supports the ASUC and ultimately underwrites student activities and programs would be affected by the elimination of bottled water sales on the campus.”

Do your homework, share your thoughts, and remember: time’s a-wastin’! Elections are going on NOW till April 7, in case for some reason you were unaware (#judging).

Image Source: Klearchos Kapoutsis under Creative Commons
Berkeley to Ban Bottled Water? [NBC Bay Area]

Andrew said:

While I cannot account for any change in funding by doing away with bottled water on your campus, I believe you are on the right track. Currently only 10% of plastic bottles are recycled in the US and plastic pollution is a real threat to our oceans. Tap water is tested more rigorously (must meet EPA standards) than bottled water (the FDA does not require water quality reports to be made public) and 40% of bottled water comes from municipal sources. Tap water is usually safe to drink and if you are worried about safe drinking water from municipal sources use a water filter. You can get re-usable water bottles with built-in filters and there are filters for water fountains as well. Single use plastic bottles just don’t make sense any more. Good luck with the vote!

JoeHadenough10 said:

Good post Andrew I totally agree also you might want to drop Home and Office Delivery AKA Arrowhead Water AKA Nestle Waters their trucks are poorly maintained oil leaking old pieces of crap they have to many trucks per mechanic so they save money hence more profit. It’s just a matter of time before this comes home to roost in the form of safety or accident. East bay and bay area beware stay away from the 33000 pound missiles (Arrowhead trucks).

Kate said:

Congrats UC Berkeley. Supporting the bottled water industry implicitly undermines the political will to adequately fund public water systems. Check out http://www.thinkoutsidethebottle.net/index.html to access your tap with stainless steel reusable water bottles that advocate the plight of water.

Click! said:

to impact your prospects. features of different…

blogs vary from one blog to another.your blog’s features and characteristics decide its identity from other blogs. there are many blog features and if you could go for the best one, then there are high chances to be successful while considering…

Click! said:
May 5, 2012 at 9:55 am

negative, because you understand that your sincerity…

enables the creation of trust. and trust is the key upon which customer relationships are built.passion – about industry trends and how they affect your customersknowledge is the key. it’s how we make decisions. your customer is busy, impatient and in…

work as a teacher in Thailand said:

an e-mail and inviting them to see…

and read your blog. you can also attend and host events to encourage traffic on your blog. for example, a giveaway event that giving away freebies. if you have e-mail connections then use them. you can also survey your readers to…