93026448_53372ca75dNearly 14 years have passed since the Berkeley City Council repealed its anti-sitting laws. Yes, they used to exist — and for some, this in and of itself is kind of alarming. For others, however, 14 years apparently have been more than long enough.

It appears that associated Berkeley merchants are mobilizing to criminalize sitting on sidewalks in the commercial districts of Telegraph Avenue and Shattuck Avenue. Which applies to … um, a sh*t ton of people — but we all know who it’s targeting: the people with few other places to go.

Not that we’re looking to turn this post into a soapbox; neither are we telling you to attend tomorrow’s rally, nor that you should necessarily sign the petition against the ordinance.

But we do have two words for you, Berk-town: Not chill.

Image Source: gamera_obscura under Creative Commons
SIT DOWN FOR JUSTICE [IndyBay]
STAND UP FOR THE RIGHT TO SIT DOWN! [Suitcase Clinic]
Earlier: Get That Footprint Under Control

tag said:

Oh no, how will I get through my day without people harassing me for money to drugs and alcohol?

tam said:

Berkeley, the new San Francisco. hahaha. I’m with tag on this one.

aggro_crag said:

Oh no, now lazy drug addicts won’t be able to harass productive members of society. THE HUMANITY!

Bren said:

I wonder if this is the first time that I’ve ever seen someone who is self-confident and well-adjusted sling gratuitous insults at strangers… probably not.

Tad said:

Hopefully all of the “lazy drug addicts” will start sitting in front of your homes instead. If people want to shop or eat somewhere, they’ll do it regardless of those loitering out front. Maybe the problem is that no one wants to shop at Volcom or Hot Topic.