After discovering the latest omen of the world’s coming demise, the Clog encourages Berkeley students to put down their books and enjoy their short-lived time on Earth.

Even for those of us who place a relatively low value on our personal space, death by overcrowding sounds rather unpleasant. It’s disconcerting, then, to hear that said phenomenon might not be so farfetched — or far in the future — as we’d like to think.

According to an article authored by Malcolm Potts (of UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health) and Martha Campbell (president of Venture Strategies for Health and Development), the United Nations’ projections for global population growth are more than a little distressing. Whereas the Population Division previously placed the planet’s denizens at 9 billion and stabilizing by 2050, they now predict that the numbers will balloon, hitting as high as 10.6 billion in 40 years and only continuing to grow.

One of the predominant contributing factors is limited access for many women around the world to family planning; additionally, everyone apparently thought more people would be dying of HIV/AIDS. Lamenting this mistaken prediction seems a little messed up. Then again, the fact that “Uganda — with one of the highest numbers of AIDS cases in sub-Saharan Africa — is projected to almost triple its population by 2050″ is somewhat astonishing, and not in the best of ways.

Maybe if we’re lucky, the apocalypse will come quite a bit sooner, and we can enjoy our remaining days with just enough elbow room to spare.

School house Rock – Elbow Room [YouTube]
Foreign Policy: Without Birth Control, Planet Doomed [NPR]
Earlier: “What Is Oozing out of Our Ground??”

jesica said:
Jul 18, 2011 at 4:34 am

I just couldn’t depart your website prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard information a person supply for your visitors? Is gonna be back steadily to investigate cross-check new posts

nora said:
Jul 19, 2011 at 1:16 am

I’ve been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thanks , I will try and check back more often. How frequently you update your web site?

free mobile apps said:
Jan 4, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

w32 blaster worm windows 7 said:

nice web template and also terrific write-up.thanks this is excellent details

emu360v1.4.rar said:

You know thus significantly in relation to this matter, made me for my part imagine it from numerous numerous angles. Its like women and men aren’t involved until it is something to do with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. All the time maintain it up!

stone crusher said:

This is a great blog and i want to visit this every day of the week

stone crusher said:

The the next occasion Someone said a blog, Lets hope it doesnt disappoint me just as much as this place. I mean, It was my option to read, but I just thought youd have some thing fascinating to mention. All I hear can be a number of whining about something that you could fix in case you werent too busy interested in attention.

w32 blaster worm removal tool said:

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty significantly exactly the same layout and design. Great choice of colors!

Adolph Coday said:

You are a really persuasive writer. I can see this within your post. You have a way of writing compelling info that sparks significantly interest. When visiting blogs, i typically discover a very very good content like yours. Lis Pendens is a greatpiece which you may like as well. Check it out!

Joan Karpowich said:

I found a web page link to your web log within Mr. Wong Bookmarks, I am so happy that I did, you have got a very well penned and helpful blog good luck and I genuinely hope you do well. I will certainly be back again.

Kirstie Wakabayashi said:

Great info. Lucky me I ran across your site by chance (stumbleupon). I’ve saved it for later!

Conversion Calculator said:

Very interesting info!Perfect just what I was looking for!

Kacy Kiernan said:
Jun 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your site.Keep the aarticles coming. I enjoyed it!

Marquis Treloar said:
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:41 am

|I don’t normally interrupt wonderful convos such as this with inquiries, but I really need the help of whoever happy to lend me a hand. I’m thinking about employing http://lawncaremaintenance.net/ and I wanted to ask if anyone here has used them previously. I am hunting for both the negative and positive areas of their business. Please make contact with me as soon as possible for this is important. I appreciate it.