3597367714_7093acfb94

All right, so we’re kind of putting words in people’s mouths. But that does seem to be the subtext of a recent survey conducted by the UC Graduate Assembly and Associated Students of the University of California, which found Berkeley students reluctant to patronize the Telegraph Avenue and downtown districts for anything other than food.

After all, three-quarters of respondents said the streets are too dirty, and 65 percent complained that there are too many homeless hanging around. About that many also stated that they don’t feel safe enough walking around — the main danger ostensibly being big scary “street people” (as Berkeleyside has dubbed them). These issues, plus the apparently poor selection of stores, send students to Emeryville and San Francisco for shopping, employment and basically all services outside of noms.

We’re going to have to call shenanigans on this one. For starters, if safety’s an issue, heading to the city makes zero sense — particularly when you factor a much higher and much scarier bum population into the equation. Same goes for dirtiness. And as for selection, nearly everyone who participated in the survey expressed a desire for an “all-purpose” store like Target. Um, kids, do you know where you are? Pretty sure one of Berkeley’s pluses is the glorious lack of Wal-Mart.

This isn’t to say we don’t have our fair share of complaints about this town, but our standards seem to differ from those of others’. For instance, one respondent lamented the loss of Blake’s as rendering the state of Telegraph “just sad.” We, on the other hand, tend to think the district’s aesthetic quality skyrocketed as a result.

But maybe that’s just us.

Image Source: kukkurovaca under Creative Commons
Berkeley students want better stores, fewer street people [Berkeleyside]

Erin said:
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:29 pm

So your logic is this:

1. The survey must be methodologically unsound, either purposefully or by accident.

2. The survey is unsound because I disagree with the preferences stated by a majority of survey respondents.

Not very compelling. You’re essentially saying, “I disagree. Therefore, contrary opinions must actually be forged opinions, as most people would surely agree with me.” Sounds awfully conceited.

website design said:

Wow, wonderful blog format! How long have you been blogging for? you make running a blog glance easy. The entire look of your website is great, let alone the content!

Men In Pain said:

I cling on to listening to the news bulletin talk about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i acquire some?

tvonline said:

http://www.tvturn.com

CFNM said:

Howdy would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

oakley knockoff sunglasses said:

Thanks for your publication on this web site. From my very own experience, there are occassions when softening way up a photograph may provide the photography with a little bit of an artsy flare. Sometimes however, the soft cloud isn’t what exactly you had in mind and can sometimes spoil an otherwise good photo, especially if you anticipate enlarging this.

Jasmina Joline Becker said:

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

URL said:

Precisely what I was seeking for, thankyou for putting up. 154710

Transgenic Mice said:

I’m often to running a blog and i actually recognize your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your web site and preserve checking for brand new information.

Security Light said:

Thank you so much for providing individuals with a very marvellous opportunity to check tips from this web site. It is often so amazing and packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office co-workers to visit your blog at least thrice every week to read the fresh issues you have. And of course, I’m just certainly happy concerning the powerful tactics you serve. Some 3 tips on this page are undoubtedly the most impressive we have had.

my dirty hobby said:

You made some decent factors there. I looked on the internet for the problem and found most individuals will go along with along with your website.