if it says "classy," then it's gotta be classyIf you’ve never had the privilege of attending the annual Ojai Music Festival, well then friends, you now have one more day to experience the magic without needing a ticket to SoCal.

What exactly is this Ojai Music Festival, you say? Well, it could very well be described as a classier version of Coachella, you know, without all of the drugs, rape and “Ecstasy induced wizard[s]” (see: This Week’s Sign of the Apocalypse: Coachella = Rape and Doom). And did I forget to mention that it’s a classical music festival? Classy!

On Saturday, June 18 at 8 p.m., the festival will hold its final performance of its new “Ojai North” component in a special performance of George Crumb’s American song cycle, “Winds of Destiny.”

What exactly makes this performance so special, you say? Well, for starters, “Winds of Destiny” is a contemporary rendition of American Civil War songs, folk songs and spirituals, some of which we all know very well but definitely not in the way we remember them.

Secondly, celebrated theatre director Peter Sellars — a glimpse of his phenomenal hair alone is worth the price of admission — has created his very own stage production of the piece.

Thirdly, world-renowned soprano Dawn Upshaw  — whose voice makes angels weep with jealousy — will be the vocalist for the ensemble; exciting!

Lastly but not … uh, least-ly, the performance is taking place in our very own Zellerbach Playhouse. CLASSY!

Tickets start at $44 but can be cut in half with a Cal student ID (that’s $22 for all of you non-math majors). And please let us know if you get to attend this classy shindig.

Image Source: whizchickenonabun under Creative Commons
George Crumb’s The Winds of Destiny [Cal Performances]
Earlier: How To: Eat Like a King When You’re Just a Poor Little College Student

Sandra Oh said:
Jun 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I absolutely loved this blog!!!

The very core of your writing whilst appearing agreeable in the beginning, did not really work perfectly with me after some time. Somewhere throughout the sentences you actually were able to make me a believer but just for a while. I however have a problem with your jumps in logic and you might do nicely to help fill in all those breaks. When you can accomplish that, I will undoubtedly be impressed.

Mateusz Czerwinski said:

meet thai ladyboy said:

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They are really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are very short for novices. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.

a4298109 said:

I’ve said that least 4298109 times. SKC was here…