4448701927_6f9a633927Back in September, the heads of our outstanding institution of higher learning brilliantly decided to demote our varsity rugby team, which has won an astounding 26 national championships BTW, to club status while completely eliminating our baseball team — that same baseball team that isn’t doing too bad these days either, as you might have heard.

As if that isn’t enough to make those folks who cut these successful programs feel a little silly, Cal baseball coach David Esquer was just named National Coach of the Year.

But we here at the Clog don’t hold grudges (well, except in the case of David Schwimmer, who can never be forgiven for playing “Ross”). We’re just happy to see these programs coming back. The lesson to be learned here: if your program gets cut, it only takes a championship run and around 9.7 million dollars worth of philanthropic commitments to get reinstated. Easy peasy lemon-squeezy, indeed.

Perhaps the reason for the baseball team’s success was the stress of being cut a few months ago and this is all part of a new innovative strategy for “Building Champions” that forces programs to be financially independent and somehow facilitates championship-worthy performances. Who knows.

Image Source: Monica’s Dad under Creative Commons
Cal baseball still standing, ousts Texas A&M [SFGate]
Cal’s Esquer is National Coach Of Year [San Jose Mercury News]
Cal Baseball officially reinstated as team preps for College World Series [UC Berkeley NewsCenter]

Lesha Tadgerson said:

Maranatha! He is coming back!

bloom321 said:

very good i havent read such a high quality peice of work in a long time good job. The text flows very nicely and it is very easy read and it was also fun and broght up some interesting points.bloom

Asus Transformer Prime said:

Many articles I have read on the internet are completely useless. They are just thrown up with no research and written without regard to the visitors. Thankfully your articles is not like this. I really appreciated what you had to say. This is a quality article well researched and worth reading. Thank you so much for writing it I have saved your website so that I can come back to it in the future. Keep up the great work you have done.

mp3 players said:

Get popular electronics…..

[...]The information mentioned within the article are several of the most effective accessible [...]…

Domenica Kerchner said:

very sweet post

Mal Malloy Video said:

Hello I am so glad I found your webpage, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Digg for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a incredible post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

Women Dunk High KJax Cartoon Custom White Blue Painting said:

Hey there would you mind letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a fair price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

my dirty hobby said:

Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a great web site.

Transgenic Mice said:

A formidable share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he the truth is purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If attainable, as you turn into expertise, would you thoughts updating your blog with more details? It’s extremely useful for me. Large thumb up for this blog publish!