No snoring in class!So you’ve decided to take summer classes because you didn’t have the funds for that backpacking trip through Europe you’ve been raving about since last November. Bummer, but summer classes don’t have to suck (as much) when you have the Clog staff scouring through the session D schedule to find some interesting classes for your “enjoyment.” Here’s a list of a few classes we thought would make your summer at Cal fly much faster than it would taking Introduction to Financial Accounting or something equally dreadful. And please, let us know if you’re taking a class deemed interesting enough to stay awake through so we can add it to our list.

Rhetoric 130 P – Novel Into Film – “Science Fiction”
MTuW 2 – 4:30 p.m., 100 WHEELER
M 5:30 – 8 p.m., 100 WHEELER

Sci-fi geeks rejoice! This class focuses on “how [the] course materials describe categories like the human, natural, and technological, perform race, gender and sexuality, and challenge ideas about history, nation, and environment.” We know, this sounds kind of boring, but when the list of films includes “2001: A Space Odyssey,” “Blade Runner” and “Avatar,” this may possibly be the greatest Rhetoric class ever!  Texts include works by Jason Campbell, the writer of “The Hero With a Thousand Faces,” which influenced the greatest geek-fest franchise EVER, Star Wars.

Psychology 192 – “Music and the Brain”
MWF 2:30 – 5:00 p.m., 2040 VALLEY LSB

This class emphasizes the listener’s perception of music and contains lab assignments that will “train students in using free sound editing software to analyze acoustic information in musical sounds.” A scientific and theoretical approach to music so that you learn why that Rihanna song makes you all giddy every time you hear it.

History N124 – United States History – “The Jazz Age in American History: Prohibition, Sexual Liberation, Gangsters, KKK, Anti-Immigration, Black Migration, The Harlem Renaissance, The Crash”
TuWTh 3 – 5:30 p.m., 200 WHEELER

The name of the class pretty much speaks for itself. We’re hoping that there will be multiple field trips to speakeasy bars around S.F. that were open during prohibition. Fingers crossed!

Film and Media 108 – “Horror: The Zombie Film”
MWF 2:00 – 4:30 p.m., 142 DWINELLE
M 4:30 – 7:00 p.m., 142 DWINELLE

Gasp! This class covers three important sections of zombie films: the classic zombie film (i.e. Hatian voodoo), the 60s – 70s zombie films (i.e. Night of the Living Dead) and the modern day zombie parody (i.e. Shaun of the Dead). What else can we say but thank you Film and Media department, for being so damn awesome!

Image Source: rofltosh under Creative Commons
Novel Into Film: Science Fiction [UCB Rhetoric Department]
Music and the Brain [UCB Psychology Department]
The United States from World War II to the Vietnam Era [General Catalog]
Department of Film and Media [site]

Victor Tobar said:
Jul 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Love the blog keep it coming and please send me more

unlock iphone 3gs said:

Awsome info and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is really the best place to ask but do you guys have any ideea where to get some professional writers? Thanks in advance :)

long feather earrings said:

Thanks for an amazing submit, will study one’s others content. thanks for your thoughts with this, I soon became a trifle made an impact to by this post. Thanks again! You wanna make a great point. Portrays natures best by the excellent data here. I believe that in case a greater number of people considered it like that, they’d have a very better time period obtain the suspend ofing the situation.

Jaunita Kagey said:

Unlock & Jailbreak iPhone 3Gs, 4, & 4S! Including latest Firmware iOS 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, & 5.0.1 http://pendek.in/0kh6