5878434115_28497027f0

Unfortunately — as most of you probably already know — it looks like there will be yet another tuition increase. This news is already enough to send us to angry town, but it gets worse. Did you know that while our tuition is going up, UC administrators and executives are getting raises?!

If you think that these raises are a bit insensitive to UC students and don’t make sense considering all the talk of budget cuts, you’re not alone. California State Senator Leland Yee is a little upset as well. That’s why he introduced a bill that would limit the pay increases for university executives.

And in case you’re wondering, these folks are not in desperate need of pay increases. Don’t believe us? Well, then you should head on over to this site and look up some salaries for yourself. If you feel like being totally outraged, let us recommend looking up the incomes of employees at the UC Office of the President (UCOP), several of which are well over 300,000 dollars a year.

You might also note that Coach Tedford was apparently the highest paid state employee in 2009, earning a whopping $2.3 million. However, if you’d rather stay sane, feel free to look up the salary of your favorite professor instead, or just avoid the site altogether …

Image Source: Steve Rhodes under Creative Commons
UC
Board of Regents approves 9.6 percent fee hike [Daily Cal]
State senator proposes bill to limit pay increases for university executives [Daily Cal]
State Worker Salary Search [Sacramento Bee]

Milan Moravec said:
Jul 23, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Enough words about the bloat at University of California Berkeley Senator Yee. Here are specificics to cut tuition increases. ‘Pitch in’ UC President, Faculty, Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, UCOP:
No furloughs
18 percent reduction in UCOP salaries & $50 million cut.
18 percent prune of campus chancellors’, vice chancellors’ salaries.
15 percent trim of tenured faculty salaries, increased teaching load
10 percent decrease in non-tenured faculty salaries, as well as increase research, teaching load
100% elimination of all Academic Senate, Academic Council costs, wages.

(17,000 UC paid employees earn more than $100,000)

However, rose bushes always bloom after pruning