5186529080_67cce0c7aaAt this point, the UC Regents’ approval last Thursday of a 9.6 percent fee increase should be old news to you. Even if the specifics of California’s budget plan and its exact impact on your college tuition are more than a little confusing, the mere fact of fee hikes is enough to get everybody’s blood boiling with a quickness.

But on the subject of confusion, it seems that even members of the ASUC don’t entirely grasp the logistics of this whole crazy business. See, in addition to the 9.6 percent figure that the regents ultimately approved, there was also the matter of “trigger” cuts to consider — meaning the potential for an additional loss of $100 million in state funding to the UC within the next six months and, consequently, the possibility of yet another 5.9 percent increase in the cost of student fees.

Now, because student leaders got especially riled up vis-a-vis any talk of a trigger increase, the regents agreed at Thursday’s meeting to table that discussion for the time being. We wish to draw your attention here to the key word table, as its definition apparently isn’t universally agreed upon. We at the Clog tend to think that to table (verb, used with an object) is to put off or postpone until a later time.

Not so, according to the ASUC. The regents’ delay over said trigger increase is being touted as a decisive triumph on the part of the entire UCSA (University of California Student Association), with External Vice President Joelle Gamble, for example, stating:

We mobilized and advocated aggressively with dozens of students coming for public comment and hundreds of students sending in letters and emails. The removal of the “trigger” increase was a significant victory for students on an otherwise sad day for affordability and accessibility in the UC system.

Um, yeah — “removal?” Pretty sure it’s not a synonym for table.

And UC Berkeley student senators have been no less self-congratulatory. Sure, you can call us Negative Nancys; but wowed as we are by this feat of staving off what is likely inevitable, we hope the ASUC will stop patting itself on the back in time to recoup and strategize for the months to come. That way, maybe the next exercise in said mobilization could occur with a bit more advance notice than a few days’ time.

You know, just an idea.

Image Source: flickrrey under Creative Commons
UC Board of Regents approved 9.6 percent fee hike [Daily Cal]
UC regents vote to increase tuition [Sacramento Bee]
UCSA Regents Vote Press Release [site]
10.5% Approved: Let’s Move FORWARD [facebook]

Christian Louboutin Outlet said:

Hi I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Yahoo for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don抰 have time to look over it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Rotavator hire glasgow said:

I think that what you posted was actually very reasonable. However, what about this? what if you were to write a killer headline? I ain’t suggesting your information is not good, but what if you added a headline that makes people want more? I mean The Daily Clog » Tabling Defined; or Why We’re Less Than Impressed with the ASUC is kinda plain. You ought to look at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create article headlines to grab people to click. You might add a related video or a pic or two to grab people interested about everything’ve written. In my opinion, it might make your posts a little bit more interesting.

projektowanie wnętrz said:
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:24 am

Thank you for this website! Best greetings from Trojmiasto!

pletchergzz said:

A quality water feature coop is frequently much more overpriced nevertheless, you can nevertheless have more affordable fountain of youth pencils which do the smashing employment. Water feature pens are more costly as compared to rollerball as well as soccer ball place pens. You may http://www.montblancpensell.com/montblanc-meisterstuck-montblanc-fineliner.html get that you possible cherish the feature put in writing additional and you may make sure that you never lose and also misplace them.