3910336227_4d519fa49bWhen we heard that Berkeley scientists were doing something for Burning Man — you know, that eight-day hippie debauchery festival that stews beneath the hot Nevada sun — we were shocked and, honestly, a little disappointed. Weren’t there other, more productive things for them to be doing, like working at Lawrence Berkeley Lab on an awesomely fast network for research scientists or continuing efforts toward creating sound zombies?

To be fair, we might be a little bitter because we’re not going (eight days off and $300 can be hard to come by) or maybe we were just a little taken aback since the science lab and Burning Man are not necessarily a match made in heaven. Either way, someone had some ‘splaining to do.

Well, it turns out the project, although it isn’t the most noble of undertakings, is pretty darn cool. Artist and Burning Man vet Jim Bowers, along with his research team (which includes Berkeley scientists working independently of the Lab), are creating a massive, laser-driven clock. The clock, which will have a diameter of about one mile, will become the “world’s largest functioning timepiece, according to categories within the Guinness World Records.”

But, wait a second — will hippies and other Burning Man good-vibers even care about the time? Meh, either way, as long as this clock turns out better than the World’s Tallest Thermometer in Baker, California, we here at the Clog say go for it, Mr. Bowers. Make us proud!

Clarification: A previous version of this story may have implied that Jim Bowers’ team was sponsored by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, but this project is actually unaffiliated with the lab.

Image Source: Alison Faith under Creative Commons
Berkeley lab scientists helping to build the world’s largest clock for Burning Man festival [Mercury News]

Jim Bowers said:
Jul 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm

The 1MileClock project is NOT affiliated or in any way endorsed by Lawrence Berkeley Lab. Russell Wilcox and associate Marc Hertlein, both laser physicists at Berkeley labs are both volunteering their own time to design and build the laser apparatus that provides the “hands” of the clock. In other words, Russel and Marc (both brilliant scientists in their fields) are both participating in this endeavor “OFF THE CLOCK!”

Thanks,
Jim Bowers
Artist / Project Director
1MileClock

Jjohn D. wibberley said:

Artist and scientists come in all sizes and shapes…As one of the many artist on this project, it will be very COOL…John D, wibberley (WIBBA)

Diana Newby said:

Thank you, Mr. Bowers, for pointing out the error. The post has been edited and a clarification included accordingly.

electronic arts said:

Get popular electronics…..

[...]The facts talked about within the write-up are some of the most beneficial accessible [...]…

Transgenic Mice said:

Something more important is that when searching for a good internet electronics shop, look for online shops that are constantly updated, retaining up-to-date with the hottest products, the most effective deals, in addition to helpful information on products. This will ensure that you are dealing with a shop that stays on top of the competition and offers you what you need to make knowledgeable, well-informed electronics purchases. Thanks for the crucial tips I have really learned from the blog.

Emelda Felter said:

Keep up the wonderful piece of work, I read few articles on this site and I believe that your website is very interesting and holds sets of good info.

ads said:

Thank for sharing awesome informations ! Keep it up ! Watch funny video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDzy2rZp4a4

Device Bondage said:

Well I really liked reading it. This tip provided by you is very helpful for good planning.

fly mouse said:

I regard something truly special in this internet site .

Rashad Gendel said:

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your Tim Tebow Jersey Jets website and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

puchatek said:

I am very interested in this subject recently, and watching him closely.

Anna Lisa Friedrich said:

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.

Security Light said:

I am glad for commenting to make you understand what a fantastic encounter my wife’s girl developed reading your web site. She came to find plenty of details, most notably how it is like to possess an awesome giving mindset to let other people effortlessly grasp some complicated topics. You undoubtedly surpassed her expected results. Thanks for coming up with those insightful, trusted, educational and in addition cool thoughts on this topic to Julie.

Christian Louboutin Outlet said:

Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

Penis Enlargement Pills said:

Thank you for every one of your work on this blog. My niece enjoys managing internet research and it’s simple to grasp why. I learn all of the lively form you create rewarding thoughts on your website and invigorate contribution from others about this topic so our simple princess is truly understanding a great deal. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year. You’re the one doing a terrific job.

Teens Summer Camps said:

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. But imagine if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this site could certainly be one of the very best in its niche. Terrific blog!

Hey, Many thanks just for this awesome publish! I like the actual content.I’m absolutely sure a person set numerous assumed with it…

my dirty hobby said:

Hey very nice site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find numerous useful information here in the post, we need work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Rościsław Gorski said: