Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Android apps know more about you than you think. In fact, they know much more about you than they should.

That’s what Erika Chin, a UC Berkeley Computer Science graduate student, and fellow security researcher, Yekaterina Tsipenyuk O’Neil, reported at this year’s DEFCON. Over 30% of Android apps are “overprivileged,” they say, which means they have access to information that they don’t need to function.

But … we don’t mean to go all luddite on you now. We grew up on healthy diets of Nintendo and AIM, too.

On that note, nProgress just launched the new student-specific app, ntro, for UC Berkeley students, to facilitate quasi-serendipitous encounters that wouldn’t otherwise occur. App users can find others based on common interests. What that will mean is no more headaches over forming last-minute study groups, locating student group meetings or finding musicians to form highly successful Grammy-award-winning bands with … maybe.

Image source: MP4Nation
Def Con 19: Android apps ask for too much power [Consumer Reports]
Students experiment with new app [Daily Cal]

Joel Mccune said:

Real good info can be found on blog . “The American temptation is to believe that foreign policy is a subdivision of psychiatry.” by Robert Francis Kennedy.

mydirtyhobby said:

I truly appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again

3D Kink said:

I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thank you, I¡¦ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?

HALI YIKAMA said:

Great subject. Thanks.

Wellori Graf said:

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

ray ban highstreet sunglasses said:

I have taken notice that in old digital cameras, specialized sensors help to aim automatically. These sensors associated with some cams change in in the area of contrast, while others employ a beam with infra-red (IR) light, specifically in low lumination. Higher specification cameras from time to time use a combination of both methods and likely have Face Priority AF where the photographic camera can ‘See’ the face while keeping focused only upon that. Many thanks for sharing your ideas on this site.

Alessandra Woodbeck said:

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

Forex ea said:

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! percentage we keep in touch more approximately your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this area to unravel my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to peer you.

Mal Malloy Pics said:

Great blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thanks a lot!

Transgenic Mice said:

How long does it take to get amended taxes back?I wanted to send you this bit of remark to be able to say thanks over again just for the precious basics you have shared on this site. It was certainly surprisingly open-handed with people like you to allow publicly precisely what a few individuals would have sold as an ebook in making some bucks on their own, specifically given that you might well have tried it if you ever desired. The points also acted to provide a easy way to be certain that other people online have the same interest like mine to know more around this issue. I believe there are thousands of more enjoyable occasions ahead for those who start reading your blog post.

Wacław Symanski said:

Security Light said:

I have to point out my affection for your kindness giving support to men and women that actually need help with this study. Your real commitment to getting the message up and down appeared to be definitely helpful and have usually made individuals much like me to get to their endeavors. Your own useful facts indicates this much a person like me and substantially more to my mates. Thanks a ton; from everyone of us.