the verdict

A Berkeley student and an optometry professor walk into a court …

That, ladies and gentlemen, would be the start of a terrible joke. One that might go like this:

A Graduate School of Journalism student — let’s say his name is Josh Wolf — follows protesters into Wheeler Hall as they fight tuition fee hikes with video camera in hand as they storm and shut down the building in Nov. 2009. At Wolf’s individual disciplinary hearing (the journalism card didn’t exempt him), he storms out when his legal adviser is denied the right to speak.

He then sues the chairman of his disciplinary panel, Cal Optometry Professor Robert DiMartino in Small Claims Court. The case crawls its way up to the Superior Court, where DiMartino’s lawyer argues that the case should be dismissed on the grounds that DiMartino did not have adequate legal representation in Small Claims Court (hmm …) and, besides, was immune to prosecution, anyway.

The case was dismissed, and the tragicomedy concludes today in the Berkeley Small Claims Court, where DiMartino filed for $1,066 in court costs — word is, Wolf is setting up a lemonade stand to raise the funds. We’ll keep you updated as the saga unfolds.

Image Source: afsart under Creative Commons
When a UC-Berkeley student and professor meet in court … [SFGate Politics Blog]

Tymoteusz Sokołowski said:

I like this blog so much, bookmarked. “I don’t care what is written about me so long as it isn’t true.” by Dorothy Parker.