subwayAs college students, people seem to understand the importance of sleep, yet fail to make it a priority. After all, who has time for clubs, a job, intramurals, ahem The Daily Clog, classes and nine hours of z’s?

As we’re sure you’ve heard many times before, sleep deprivation is a leading cause of poor judgment, moodiness and junk food cravings. As if that isn’t bad enough, Dr. Masket from the UC Berkeley Tang Center mentions something he calls the “September Rule.”

According to this, freshmen come to school in August and embrace the freedom characteristic of college life and make lifestyle changes, including cutting several hours off their sleep schedule. Initially, six hours of sleep a night doesn’t have an impact, and students start believing that they can thrive on this regimen. However, according to Masket, your body can only make it this way for about four weeks. Then come the illnesses. The flu, pneumonia, mono or even just the common cold are all, well … common. If you’re sick and reading this, you may be a victim of the September Rule. Here are a few tips provided by the National Sleep Foundation on getting a better night’s rest:

1. No late-afternoon or evening naps, unless you work nights.
2. Be around bright lights in the morning and avoid it at night.
3. No nightcaps.
4. Avoid medicines that delay or disrupt your sleep.
5. Set and stick to a sleep schedule.
6. Keep a “worry book” next to your bed.
7. Keep your bed free of distractions.
8. Exercise regularly.

Image Source: Smath under Creative Commons
It’s 3 a.m. Is your student asleep yet? [Cal Parents]

www.Archos.Com/Registration said:

I absolutely adore your depicted object material on this web site . I appear over each night and I ‘m proud to read that you obtained it!

Czesław Jasiński said: