sick picNo, a common cold doesn’t kill nowadays, but it does take a lot of energy out of you. Especially with midterms kicking into gear, getting sick is one of the last things students want to deal with.

The common cold is caused by a virus, so don’t buy medications just yet! Most medications treat the symptoms of a cold and don’t kill the virus directly. The symptoms come from the bacteria that take advantage of your weakened immune system (thanks to the virus). Too much medication means the bacteria will eventually gain immunity to them, and symptoms get more difficult to get rid of. Rather, let your immune system do what it was designed to do: OBLITERATE get rid of the virus itself.

But what of the symptoms? No medicine = miserable and tired college student? Fret not, the Clog has some methods (almost) guaranteed to soothe.

1) Honey + Hot Water = Excellent elixir for your throat

A combination tested by time and science, honey water (or honey tea if you’re feeling particularly English) feels good, tastes good and is scientifically proven to be good.

We’re not sure if lemon helps, but it certainly makes your remedial concoction tastier.

2) Medicine

Wait, what?! Before you accuse us of hypocrisy, go back and read carefully. Too much medicine won’t do you good, but if you’re coughing and sputtering to the point of death, medicine will do in this situation. In moderation, the cherry- or grape-flavored stuff is a great way to control your symptoms. Just don’t rely on medication every time. Which brings us to our next point …

3) Sleep

Sleep provides your body the opportunity to really get into virus fighting mode. Plus, sleeping it off just works. Time is the best medicine of all (sorry, move aside “love”). Good sleeping habits also help prevent colds from infecting you in the first place.

Image source: StacieBee under Creative Commons

Posted in: Sandbox
Tags:, , , , , ,
Comments (3)
Print This Post Print This Post

trx force kit said:

I appreciate the informative views he expressed on this blog, and I will miss him from the Euroblogosphere.

suspension trainer said:

agree on your points about the basics of wealth building. Being frugal is good,and we will obviously see the benefits of saving in the small picture analysis.

Wojtek Jabłoński said: