cannabisThe catchy slogan was popularized by the campaign to pass Prop 19 on California’s ballot in 2010. However, it seemed to have died with the proposition as Californians voted not to legalize and thereby regulate marijuana. Obviously, since it is illegal, marijuana is nowhere to be found in Berkeley. Psyche!

Located on San Pablo Avenue, the 40 Acres Medical Marijuana Growers Collective‘s membership has recently accelerated to over 7,000 locals, making it one of the most significant cannabis businesses in the city. Concerns have been raised as the collective has promoted itself among the youth, encouraging high school students to train in its business.

Additionally, the collective’s status as a “collective” has been questioned as they participate in an assortment of extra activities including hemp fairs and selling retail products such as bongs. Other businesses have issued complaints about 40 Acres, citing that it does not have a license from the city and is thus illegal, meaning they do not pay the taxes their competitors are subject to.

Last November, Berkeley citizens voted to have a fourth medical marijuana dispensary, but the city has yet to issue the permit. Will it go to 40 Acres? Stay tuned.

Image source: erissiva under Creative Commons
Rapid growth of cannabis collective raises concern [Berkeleyside]

Hershel Hinote said:

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Laverne Keovongxay said:

Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.