facebookHow many times have you heard someone say that they’re just “stalking their ex on Facebook?”

We’re guessing quite a few.

Researchers recently studied over 300 undergraduate students to find out if Facebook sparks jealousy in romantic relationships. About 75 percent of participants were “at least somewhat likely” to be Facebook friends with an ex-boyfriend or ex-girlfriend, while just about 79 percent of participants were aware that their current partner is friends with a former flame.

The study found that women spend more time on the site than men (41 minutes per day, as opposed to a mere 30 minutes) and also ranked significantly higher on what we’ll call “the Facebook jealousy index.”

Here are a few reasons the researchers think Facebook is correlated with jealousy:

-People have access to information about their partner via the social site that they normally would not have available to them.

-Facebook provides a medium to contact and reconnect with past partners.

-There is a superficial sense of intimacy on the site that makes falsely believe that their partners are prone to cheating.

-It is a constant reminder of your partner’s past romances.

-People may be confused when their partners act differently via Facebook than in real life and make them reconsider their connection.

Will Facebook drama ever cease?

Image source: Sean MacEntee under Creative Commons
Does Facebook Increase Jealousy [Psychology Today]

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Google. You’ve made my day! Thanks again

Dobromił Wojciechowski said:

NakedExGirlFriends said:

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to offer one thing back and help others like you helped me.