Those goddamn Europeans.

Big Ben

According to the California Department of Public Health, the mumps outbreak at Berkeley began when a Cal student first contracted the virus in Great Britain. Tsk tsk, those British. Always giving their problems to us to deal with.

The outbreak has now increased to more than 40 total confirmed and suspected cases.

Mike Sicilia, the spokesperson for the department, declared that the source of the outbreak was identified after interviewing the infected. Apparently, it’s not unusual for mumps outbreaks in the U.S. to be initiated by some sort of foreign contact.

The campus, as you all are very well aware, has flown into panic mode. Our CalMail accounts have been flooded with emails, making it seem like the plague is slowly ticking off students one by one. But honestly, let’s think about it for a minute.

There have been a  total of 44 (suspected and confirmed) cases over the past few weeks. This is out of a student population of a couple grand — namely 35. Please, there’s no need to pull the fire alarm and pressure us all into sticking needles into our arms.

Nonetheless, the response is comforting — it’s nice to know that our university will react visibly and forcibly to a health “emergency.” And for the germophobes here at the Clog, we appreciate any and all encouragement of people to wash their hands.

But if you’re still paranoid about the possibility of being out of service for five days or so, you can still get vaccinations at the Tang Center this Friday from 12 to 6 p.m.

Stay safe … and beware of your travels abroad.

Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that 44 mumps cases had been confirmed on the UC Berkeley campus. In fact, this number refers to the total number of both suspected and confirmed cases. The Daily Clog regrets the error.

Image source: Mike_fleming under Creative Commons
Mumps outbreak at UC Berkeley grows to over 40 suspected and confirmed cases [Daily Cal]

Test Backlinks said:

More Info…

[...]There’s definately a great deal to know about this subject. I love all the points you made.[...]…

Wacław Symanski said: