batteries

The fairly recent end to the California program that allowed hybrid car owners to drive solo in carpool lanes turned out to be a doozie. Other drivers complained that hybrid cars were clogging up the carpool lanes. Turns out, they were wrong.

According to researchers at UC Berkeley’s Institute of Transportations Studies, the hybrid carpool ban resulted in more congested traffic for all drivers. A new program is in the works to allow qualifying drivers back onto the carpool lanes.

Our very own astronomy professor here at Cal, Alex Filippenko, owns a Prius himself, and he commented, “I think this is an interesting study whose initially counterintuitive result for drivers in the carpool lanes is, in retrospect, quite reasonable. As a result of these conclusions, I hope solo drivers of hybrid cars that qualified for the program a few years ago are once again allowed in the carpool lanes.”

Hybrid cards have some controversy surrounding them, seeing that though they may reduce carbon emissions as a vehicle, the amount of carbon emissions emitted during the process of making the actual hybrid raises some questions. Certainly, the technology behind these cars is improving, so California is making the right move into slowly transitioning into a world that might have 100 percent hybrid/electric cars in the future.

But car companies, please make them cheaper so we can all be chargin’ our batteries.

Image source: Paul Garland under Creative Commons
Kicking hybrids out of carpool lanes backfires, slowing traffic for all [UC Berkeley News Center]

Celestyn Sawicki said:

feather earrings kesha said:

Thank you a tremendous post, would read your particular others content. thanks for your thoughts for this, I felt a lttle bit strike by this article. Thanks again! You wanna make a great aspect. Has fantastic report here. I feel if a greater number of people consideration for it that way, they’d have a better time have the hold ofing the issue.

Laverna Seiz said:

I have to say that for the last couple of hours i have been hooked by the amazing articles on this website. Keep up the wonderful work.

Emilio Orkwis said:

I have to say that for the last few of hours i have been hooked by the impressive articles on this blog. Keep up the wonderful work.

Tausha said:

This is a comment to the webmaster. I discovered your “The Daily Clog » Let me charge ma batteries, bro!” page via Google but it was difficult to find as you were not on the first page of search results. I see you could have more traffic because there are not many comments on your site yet. I have found a website which offers to dramatically increase your rankings and traffic to your site: http://aerotraffic.com/web-traffic/. I managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services, you could also get lot more targeted traffic than you have now. I used their services and got significantly more traffic to my website. Hope this helps :) Take care.