Urdu

We at the Clog support cultural exchange and study of all types. All too often, international debate seems to be framed in terms of politics rather than in terms of culture or the arts. Don’t you understand?! We all need to love each other and – ahem. Excuse the melodrama. You get the idealistic point. In any case, here’s a quiz:

Does South Asia interest you in any way, shape or form?

More particularly, are you interested in the art scene there?

If yes, this might be of interest to you: Two events about South Asia, Baatcheet Around the Bay: An Exploration of South Asian Visual Culture and Guftugu: Contemporary Pakistani Art, will be presented in conjunction with each other from 2-5 p.m. at the Berkeley Art Museum, Gallery B on Sunday, Oct. 16 (Today!).

“Baatcheet” (Hindi for “chitchat”) will be a series of short multimedia presentations by various speakers such as Anjali Joshi (Google’s director of product management), Robert Goldman (UC Berkeley professor of Sanskrit) and Zahid Sardar (San Francisco writer and editor). The presentations will center on the topic of the art and culture of South Asia.

“Guftugu” (or “conversation” in Urdu) will start at 4 p.m. at the same location as Baatcheet Around the Bay. “Guftugu” is a newly launched series featuring discussions by scholars, journalists, activists and media personalities regarding contemporary Pakistan and Urdu. This event will be the second in the “Guftugu” series in which Pakistani artist, Naiza Kahn and South Asian art collector, Dipti Mathur will talk about the contemporary Pakistani art scene.

“Guftugu” was launched as part of the “Berkeley Urdu and Pakistan Initiatives,” a program aimed to further study of  the region at Cal. In case you didn’t know, Cal is one of the few universities in the US to offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs on the study of South Asia. Berkeley’s Urdu program is considered one of the best in the country. [Insert “Go Bears” comment here].

Instead of vegging in front of your computer (Note: if you are still cramming for midterms — we are sorry), you can go to the museum and pretend to be cultured. Boost that social status.

Image source:`[ Amr Malik ]” under Creative Commons
“Expanding the guftugu — or conversation — about South Asia” [UC Berkeley NewsCenter]