5867512923_05b371ddbcContrary to popular belief, Berkeley students do not live in the main stacks, never seeing the sun and only coming out to retrieve the FSM coffee they need to survive in their vampiric lifestyle (Well, not all Berkeley students – some live in Soda Hall). We actually do like to get out and go places. However, sometimes it’s difficult.

Yes, there’s public transit if you don’t have a car, but BART, Muni, Caltrain, Amtrak, AC Transit — they are only so reliable and often take twice as long as driving would. And Zipcar can sure get pricey. If you are cursed blessed enough to have a car in Berkeley, let’s face it: Gas is expensive, and often it would be cheaper to take public transit (Plus, do you really want to give up that parking spot?).

So what’s a Berkeleyan on the go to do? The answer would be ride-share – if that didn’t mean looking or posting on Craigslist and hoping that you don’t get stuck in a car with a psychotic killer.

Finally, the solution we’ve been waiting for has arrived. That is, if you’ve been waiting for a non-sketchy way to ride-share like we at the Clog have been.

This glorious glimmer of hope is something called Zimride, which has its own Berkeley chapter and requires a CalNet ID to log in. We’re pretty enamored with the whole concept, and not just because the name reminds us of Invader Zim. You can create an account and link it to your Facebook, post rides offered and wanted, look at rides to specific destinations, list your car and your regular commute or special travel, say how much gas money you want or are willing to give and even get a seat on the regular Zimride bus to LA for low, low prices. And you can even choose to view or post to only Cal, Cal and Zimride affiliates or all of Zimride. It all seems incredibly legitimate and convenient, whether you drive to San Francisco for work every day, or need a ride to San Diego for Thanksgiving break. Plus, it not only saves your money and time, but it helps the environment (Score!).

The only issue now is that the site is not as busy and bustling as we’d like. It has great potential, but only if people start using it more. This could be the next big thing (since Quidditch) and an invaluable resource for the Berkeley community. So go to the site, create an account, start listing and looking, tell your friends. We know you need gas money for that Thanksgiving trip home, a ride from Davis next weekend or a buddy for your weekly commute to El Cerrito. Besides, the Clog wants to take a vacation and needs a ride to Santa Cruz this weekend. You can come too.

Image source: Lady Madonna under Creative Commons
Zimride [site]

adidas f50 adizero said:

Extremely good web publication!

antykwariat internetowy said:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

Dwana Grazier said:

Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.

hadkfkjgakdlakwgakldjhaw adagawdaw said:

gaohfawdaowdihaoiwdhaowidhaowidhawoihdawodihaw

feather earrings kesha said:

Thank you an incredible publish, can examine your personal others posts. many thanks for your ideas for this, I felt a lttle bit made an impact to by this short article. Merit again! You make a good time. Has excellent facts here. I believe that in case a greater number thought of it that way, they’d have got a better moment in time get the grasp ofing the difficulty.

Samantha Platts said:

I admire what you have completed right here. I love the part where you say you are generally doing this to give back but I would assume simply by all the comments that is working for you as well. Do you get any much more info on this particular?

diy feather earrings said:

Thanks for a tremendous submit, will study your personal others content. thank you your thoughts on this, I soon became somewhat struck by this short article. Thanks again! You commit a terrific moment. Has excellent data here. I feel if a greater number of people thought about it like this, they’d have a very better time frame have the suspend ofing the issue.

Mark Holliman said:

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Many thanks