ButterbeerHarry Potter-inspired alcoholic beverages — the greatest invention we’ve heard of all semester.

According to Cady Heron, Halloween is the one night in the year where a girl can dress up like a slut and no on can say anything about it. According to the Clog, Halloween is the one night in the year — especially since the movies are done with — where we’re allowed to wear our Hogwarts garb without people glaring at us strangely (hey, just cuz we’re in Slytherin doesn’t mean you have to hate). And according to colleges in America, Halloween is just another excuse to get absolutely wasted.

But are you tired of the Butterbeer and pumpkin juice staples of your high school days? If so, we here at the Clog are nerding out over this fantastic discovery: Harry Potter drinks. True, it’ll cost you a few more Galleons than you may have, but trust us, it’ll be worth it.

Here are a few standouts that all of-age Muggles should try:

The Avada Kedavra: Ladies and gentlemen, this one will literally kill you. Even the Boy Who Lived himself would have a hard time surviving this version of the Killing Curse multiple times. The shot consists of:

1 part Goldschläger
1 part Schnapps, sour apple pucker
1 part tequila, gold
1 part whiskey, scotch
1 splash lemon juice

Mix them all together and serve them in a shot glass. That doesn’t sound too bad does it? Well here’s the kicker: Add in two dashes of Tabasco sauce. Yeah, this one’s bound to be painful.

The Albus Dumbledore: This just sounds absolutely delightful, much like the man himself. We’re just imagining his blue twinkling eyes as we make these. Okay, that’s a little bit creepy, ignore what we just said. Here are the ingredients:

1 part vodka
1 splash lemon juice
3 pinches sugar, powdered

Professor Dumbledore’s love for sugar is not disregarded here — rim the cocktail glass (my, aren’t we fancy?) with sugar and lemon juice. Proceed to add the mix of vodka and lemon juice. Enjoy.

The Slytherin: For a house that has a reputation for being malicious and generally unpleasant, this cocktail doesn’t sound too bad at all. The ingredients call for:

1 part Schnapps, sour apple pucker
1 part vodka, vanilla

The instructions read: “Mix ingredients with ice, strain. Serve in a cocktail glass.” Of course the Slytherins have to be all high-end and uppity, and take everything in cocktail form. And yes there’s a difference between Slytherins making cocktails and Dumbledore doing the same, because the latter is just a classy, classy man. Can’t Slytherins just do shots like the rest of us poor folk? Apparently not. At least this one looks tasty.

Calming Draught: A specialty delivered to us right from the brain of Severus Snape himself. This drink looks extremely soothing indeed:

1 part Irish Cream (Bailey’s)
1 part milk
1 pinch cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg

Essentially, this is just a less intoxicating, wizard version of a White Russian. It also calls for you to serve the drink in an Irish coffee mug. The exact directions are these: “Mix Irish Cream and warm milk. Serve in an Irish coffee mug. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.” We can just imagine ourselves sitting around a campfire in Hogsmeade sipping on this drink hand-crafted by Madam Rosmerta herself and reminiscing on good ol’ Quidditch victories. Yum yum!

But don’t just take our word for it. Try them yourselves! And if you happen to have any Harry Potter beverage recipes of your own, feel free to share them with the Clog. You can be sure that we’ll be making them at our next party.

So as the Halloween holiday approaches, we leave you with this: Imperio! Celebrate the nerd in you. (And yes, we are quite aware of the illicitness of that curse. But we can’t help it, we’re in Slytherin. Time to Disapparte now.)

Clog out!

Image Source: EJP Photo under Creative Commons
20 Alcoholic Beverages Inspired By The Harry Potter Series [BuzzFeed]

gimnasia en casa said:

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. But think about if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could undeniably be one of the best in its field. Great blog!

Hi. Neat post. There’s a problem with your site in chrome, and you may want to check this… The browser is the marketplace leader and a big component of other folks will miss your fantastic writing because of this problem.

Teofil Gorski said:

diy feather earrings said:

Thank you an amazing put up, may examine your personal others posts. thanks for your ideas for this, I experienced a bit made an impact to by this text. Thanks again again! You earn a good time. Displays the beauty through excellent report here. I do think that if a greater number of people considered it that way, they’d have a better time period receive the hold ofing the matter.