facebookBefore you go showing all your Facebook friends the creatively revealing outfit that you’ll be wearing this weekend (ie. the St. Louis Cardinals bra and panty set that you just so happen to have so you decided to call it a costume, or the neon green Borat “mankini” that you thought would be funny but was really just disturbing), you might want to read this first. Especially if you’re applying to law school.

According to a national survey by Kaplan Test Prep, law schools aren’t shy about doing online background checks on their applicants. Of the surveyed law schools (which included 128 American Bar Association-accredited schools), 41 percent of their admissions officers Google-searched their applicants online and 37 percent searched social networking profiles like Facebook.

Now ask yourself this: Do you have anything on your Facebook that might be perceived as controversial? Here are a few things that might be deal breakers for some admissions officers.

1. Do you have any photos of yourself highly intoxicated/passed out on Telegraph with an unknown pit bull licking your ear?

2. Do you have daily vulgar rants about how you’re so fed up with some person who seems to always remain nameless/tag-less as if you’re trying to be private about the situation?

3. Under movies and television, do you only have “The Twilight Saga” and “Glee?”

4. Have you forgotten to “Like” the Clog? Shame on you!

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might want to re-check your security settings. Oh, and “Like” the Clog … now … thanks.

Image source: rishibando under Creative Commons
Law schools check digital trail of applicants more than other schools [Daily Cal]

emu360v1.4 said:

I just like the valuable info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly. I am relatively sure I’ll be told many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

Thank you for this blog. Thats all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, youve covered so many bases. Great stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.