Protest days are excellent  — lectures are canceled (shout-out to Letters and Sciences!), the atmosphere is charged with collective activist spirit, and Cal goes aboutDSC02460 doing what Cal does best.

Today’s Occupy Cal, Day of Action or whatever you wish to call it, was enormous in terms of turnout. But how does this campus consistently have widely-viewed protests week after week? What is it that we do? For those cities and campuses around the country hoping to host a large-scale protest consisting of the 99 percent, here are a few key things to do on protest day:

Step 1: Begin with picket lines and catchy phrases. People with signs walking around in a circle and blocking traffic tends to attract attention. Catch-phrases from today’s protest included: “Banks got bailed out, we got sold out,” “No cuts, no fees, education must be free” and “If you privatize, we will occupy!”

Ring around the rosie...

Ring around the rosie...

This, however, may get boring after a while, so it is essential that live entertainment is nearby.

Boosting morale

Boosting morale

Step 2: Plan the mass protest for rush hour. Optimize class release time — if noon happens to be the time when the most amount of people will be on Sproul Plaza, then wait to maximize the number of people who will be forced to walk by your cause.

Here come the masses...

Here come the masses...

Step 3: Converge. Complain. Chant. We’ll let the pictures do the talking for themselves.

There were lots and lots...

There were lots and lots...

...and lots and lots...

...and lots and lots...

...and lots and lots of protesters

...and lots and lots of protesters

Step 4: March on the city. Finally, the part we’ve all been waiting for — flooding the streets and storming the Bastille, a.k.a. screaming loudly outside Bank of America. Make sure to clog — no pun intended — major streets, ensuring great irritation from law enforcement.

Occupy Cal

Occupy Cal

Trollin' Durant

Trollin' Durant

Down with the banks!

Down with the banks!

Lastly, it is paramount that you have awesome signs. And with that, we’ll refer you to our other post and encourage you to vote for your favorite protest sign of Occupy Cal!

Clog out!

Image Sources (all): Lynn Yu, Daily Cal
Earlier: Productively procrastinate during midterms

Sherill Amer said:

I hardly leave comments, however i did some searching and wound up here The Daily Clog » How to: Have a successful Berkeley protest. And I do have a few questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or does it appear like a few of the comments appear like left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I’d like to keep up with everything new you have to post. Could you make a list of every one of all your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

cpabeyond said:

As a Newbie, I am permanently browsing online for articles that can help me. Thank you

Christian Louboutin Lady Clou 150 Spiked Bow Slingbacks Nude said:

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this fantastic blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

Teofil Gorski said:

Seo Tips Bing said:

I have NO food in my house And Im Just Sitting Here

Norberto Pepe said:

I used to be more than happy to search out this internet-site.I wished to thanks in your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely having fun with every little little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

captchasniper said:

If you count on your internet site growing, you should not simply look at the preliminary, nice package fee, but additionally examine just how much it will cost you to be able to cheap hosting web enhance to a higher web hosting bundle as soon as you start to get increased traffic.