We’ve mentioned before how science fascinated many during their childhood. Who wasn’t awed by the adventures of Ms. Frizzle? Thankfully, Cal is not only a place for us (now) bitter and jaded college students; the Lawrence Hall of Science offers various exhibitions to further cultivate children’s delight in the sciences. Although we at The Daily Clog are a good 10 years over the intended demographic group, we decided to take a trip up to the LHS planetarium. And why not? We were probably going to spend that that time re-watching episodes of  “30 Rock” over and over again, anyway.

At the entrance, we were greeted by an animatronic Triceratops, part of the ongoing “Dinosaurs Unearthed” exhibit. The triceratops nodded its blinked at us, making us feel like we were on a set for “Jurassic Park,” although probably more scientifically accurate. Across from the dinosaur was the admission stand. Tickets are only $4 if you are a Cal student or staff member, otherwise tickets are at a steeper price of $11 and up.

Ahh, yes. The photo during mid-blink. Flattering.

Ahh, yes, the mid-blink photo. Flattering.

Although the entrance to the planetarium looked rather drab, the inside was quite impressive.The planetarium is a small geodesic dome and the circular ceiling projects images imitating the sky. We attended the “A Sky Full of Stars” exhibit, clearly aimed at toddlers because we were the only people inside the dome over the age of 10 that was a) not an employee and b) not a parent.  Still, it was quite enjoyable. The exhibition let us watch the “sky” progress from morning to night. At night, the stars in the sky turned into elaborate illustrations of the 88 official constellations as approved by the International Astronomical Union. However, the sky soon reverted back to its original form and the children were allowed to make their own constellations. It was very cute to see what kind of images they saw in the stars. Some suggestions we heard were “a puppy,” “a kite” and “a heart.” After the constellations segment, the dome turned into an image of space and we got to see blown up models of the various planets such as Jupiter and Saturn.

Yes indeed.

Yes, indeed.

Overall, the Lawrence Hall of Science is a great place to visit during the weekend with your friends … Sure, you may be a little older than the rest of the visitors, but individuals of any age can enjoy the exhibitions the hall offers. Plus, it’s always cute to see the reactions of the little kids as they see the large dinosaurs (or planets). Although we specifically went to the planetarium, there are many other ongoing exhibitions and we recommend going through the official site and see what interests you.

It really does!!

It really does!!

Image sources (all): Deborah Lee, Daily Cal

This is a great site. thank you for blogging it. cheers

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

Włodek Wieczorek said: