First earthquakes, then fires, now … whoa wait a minute, is the Clog hearing this correctly? OIL SPILLS?!

100406-G-XXXXA-002-Louisiana oil spill

That’s right folks, it seems that every environmental disaster imaginable has struck the UC Berkeley campus.

On Saturday night, an underground tank spilled 1,711 gallons of diesel fuel, washing into Strawberry Creek and possibly beyond.

Cleanup crews were working all morning mopping up Stanley Hall, the creek and the surrounding area, where most of the oil spilled. Students are currently pondering where their scheduled finals will now take place. No doubt the Office of the Registrar is having a headache of a time attempting to shuffle rooms around.

Why did the tank spill to begin with though? Is BP once again the culprit behind this mess? Or is Stanfurd trying to disturb our attempts at a smooth finals week?

Apparently, the underground diesel tank that spilled, which is fed by a larger nearby storage tank, overflowed. The overflow was in turn caused by an unnamed “equipment failure.” Hmm … suspicious indeed. Furthermore, the fuel from the tank is used to power the emergency generator from Stanley Hall, hence all the cleaning there.

Thankfully though, none of the oil seems to have reached the Berkeley Marina or San Francisco Bay, nor have there been any injuries or damages to wildlife. Yet.

Let’s just hope our clean-up crews know exactly what they’re doing.

Image source: U.S. Coast Guard under Creative Commons

1.700-gallon fuel spill at UC Berkeley, some in creek [SF Gate]

I just like the valuable information you provide on your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at again here frequently. I am slightly sure I will be informed many new stuff right right here! Good luck for the next!

Wawrzyniec Duda said: