010Ahh, December. Finals are over, students are heading home with Christmas cheer … and Occupy Berkeley protesters are still filming clashes with the police. If you thought the initial baton or pepper spray incidents were dramatic, you’ll probably want to see this. The video was taken a little after midnight on Thursday morning as police tried to keep protesters clear of a public works truck.

Protesters had been trying to jump onto the public works truck in order to retrieve their previously confiscated materials. They managed to pull out a duffle bag and traffic cone among other small things from the truck before the authorities got to them. The police then allegedly took severe means to keep the protesters at bay with their batons as several people could be seen with small cuts and bruises.

Have Berkeley police learned nothing? At this rate, we’re going to be able to make a whole montage of their outbursts. Regardless of any violence, there is no denying that the Berkeley police have certainly had their hands full for the last two months.

Since Occupy Berkeley set up camp in Civic Center Park, the police have responded to 33 calls, most of which were considered crimes.  Some of these calls included a stabbing, battery, prostitution, attempted rape, alcohol offenses and brandishing firearms. Forty-six citations were issued for smoking and drinking in public and a record of 70 tents were present at one time. However, we get the feeling that Occupy Berkeley is just beginning.

Image source: Nammi Nadella, Daily Cal

Police and Occupy Berkeley protesters clash in the streets [Berkeleyside]

Police Blotter: Occupy Berkeley [Berkeleyside]

Włodek Wieczorek said: