Toaster Oven (new)

Do you love food? Do you? Don’t you dare lie to us, we know everything about you (the bare minimum at least).

So you do, right? The Clog adores food like no other. There’s not a single ounce of benefit that comes from pretending the sandwich pictured above is not sexy. Not a single ounce. Don’t worry, just staring at the picture won’t make you gain weight – only merely test the willpower of your appetite.

Yes, okay. We have successfully established that we all love food, that food is the only thing we can all rely on when those “forever alone” moments come up. It’s not “Foodholic Anonymous” we’re running here. The Clog is a reliable source for feedback on food because believe it or not, despite our reputed snarky sarcasm and god-like bodies (okay, no), we’re actual, normal human beings who need to eat. So we turned towards the new kid in town, The Toaster Oven Sandwich Shop, located next to the Chipotle near campus on Telegraph, thinking, “Let’s test this little, eager-to-please young’un.”

Were we impressed? Astounded? Disappointed? Spewing unprintable profanities in regard to unfavorable prices for broke college students? Well …

The Clog can honestly say that we were happy with the result. *confetti*

While we have to admit that it doesn’t knock us out of our seasonally-fashionable boots, The Toaster Oven quickly and happily pleases hungry stomachs that want a neat, decently-sized sandwich without feeling disgustingly bloated afterwards, or waiting a ridiculous amount of time either.

The Toaster Oven does not have as much variety as Subway, an obvious competitor in regard to prices and location, but the former does promise what seem to be fresher vegetables, deliciously toasted bread (gee, wonder where the inspiration for the restaurant’s name came from), and relatively clean organization so that you don’t have to worry about having a torrent of mayonnaise, mustard, and God knows what else dribbling down your sleeves. In short, the focus seems to be simplicity, which the Clog approves of.

There are two criteria of sandwiches: ones that are $4.99 (meats) and ones that are $4.59 (vegetarian-status). The $4.99 sandwiches have more to offer, such as Roast Beef, KC BBQ Chicken and Piezzano. Under the $4.59 sandwiches, there are only three options: Veggie, Veggie-Bell and – how cute – PB & J. Classy! Just an extra note, The Toaster Oven seems to really like provolone cheese. Nearly all of the sandwiches had provolone cheese in them, and only two had Swiss cheese. Some had both!

One interesting thing is that there’s a “scooped” choice for the carb-wary folk, where some of the bread’s soft, fluffy, sweet-mother-of-goodness innards are cruelly ripped away from its crispy shell. Go for it by all means if it sounds desirable … But we politely remove ourselves from ever needing to be placed in such a situation where we would request, “Please mutilate our bread.”

The Clog noticed the Kitchen Sink sandwich receiving the most attention, and we think it’s partially because of the amusing name. A mishmash of typical American “leftover” ingredients (roast beef, turkey, salami, ham and provolone cheese) is placed between either Italian or wheat roll. Throw in whatever vegetables you want: onions, hot peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and pickles. If feeling slightly greedier, go for the extras ($0.75 more): bacon, avocados, extra meat and/or extra cheese. Finally, have your staggeringly wide choices of mayonnaise, mustard or both. If you’re watching your waistline or really want to slip into that itty bitty teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini, opt for vinaigrette instead of mayo.

Being true to our word, we put everything except the vinaigrette and few extras into our Kitchen Sink baby. We don’t believe in half-assing things. The sandwich was simply delicious. Truth be told, the bread is certainly hearty and wonderfully crunchy, but it can somewhat overwhelm the taste of the meat halfway through the sandwich. So to all carnivores, you guys might not be completely satisfied. Nevertheless, you can’t deny that it’s still a great sandwich. The vegetables were crunchy and flavorful. For future reference, if you normally don’t place avocado slices in your blessed marriage of bread and meat, you need to start doing so. No arguments. Shhh.

Finally, you can throw in a sweet, cold Oreo milkshake, grab a bag of chips – or, for you patricians who avoid our plebian food, “gourmet” chips (for an additional $0.40) –  or a baked cookie. The Toaster Oven is currently holding a deal where Cal students can present their ID and receive free bottled water or fountain drink with their sandwich for all of January 2012. Not too much time left, so get movin’.

Image source: Eunice Choi, Daily Cal

Tom James said:
Feb 5, 2012 at 5:03 am

Liked the article. More studies has proved that eating frequently does not really improve your metabolism and hence fat burning. It’s on pubmed and worth checking out. Thanks

trx suspension training said:

stock markets are not as easy to predict, because it takes a lot of statistical analysis, to improve it, so you have to know how it analyzes, and according to the analysis, taking the best measures of the case.

Wojtek Jabłoński said:

get more followers said:

But wanna say that this really is invaluable , Thanks for taking your time to write this. 919622

A.W.E. said:

Just a smiling visitor here to share the enjoy (:, btw outstanding layout. 393796

custom plantation shutters said:

I undoubtedly didn

Parker said:

I surely didn

kasyna said:

Very nice design and style and fantastic subject matter, very little else we want : D. 888377

Diablo3 said:

When I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with exactly the same comment. Is there any manner you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks! 31267

schädlingsbekämpfung Mannheim said:

Read more on that Post.Helpful info. 678439

affiliate forums forex said:

Spot up for this write-up, I seriously believe this web site needs a whole lot a lot more consideration. I

New York City Acupuncture said:

i just didn

online rental car deals said:

Ich kenne einige Leute, die aus Kanadakommen. Eines Tages werde ich auch dorthin reisen Lg Daniela 614824

Persian rugs from Iran said:

bless you with regard to the particular blog post ive really been looking with regard to this kind of advice on the net for sum time these days hence with thanks 606283

build a website said:

This internet web site is often a walk-through for all with the information you wanted concerning this and didn

www.newcastlerealestateagents.net.au/ said:

fantastic post. Ne

Ferienhäuser Spanien said:

Enjoyed looking at this, extremely great stuff, thanks . 606319

NSA Fun said:

You completed a number of nice points there. I did a search on the issue and found nearly all people will have the same opinion with your blog. 713844

http://www.makeawebsiteguide.com said:

I will tell your buddies to go to this website. .Thanks for the write-up. 66575

vakantiewerk enschede said:

Quite intriguing topic , thanks for putting up. 47312

Internat said:

I take pleasure within the comments on this weblog, it actually gives it that community feel! 199369

hier klicken said:

jobs for high school students – Search for Jobs on our web site, we offer several great links to the greatest and biggest Portals to obtaining a Job as a high school student! 611923

great post to read said:

Outstanding read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he really bought me lunch since I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! 188286

suomi said:

You produced various excellent points there. I did a search on the subject and located a lot of people will have exactly the same opinion along with your weblog. 358469

free vpn service said:

It can be tough to write about this topic. I think you did an excellent job though! Thanks for this! 419361

תלבושות לחינה said:

Wow, suprisingly I never knew this. Maintain up with excellent posts. 448400

Gyms in Tucson said:

There is noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in options also. 742261

pregnancy tips and news said:

Rattling excellent info can be found on web blog . 22512

knee pain said:
May 3, 2012 at 2:07 am

You

motorhome hire uk camper van rental cheshire manchester rent hiring a motorhome said:
May 3, 2012 at 7:10 am

Empathetic for your monstrous inspect, in addition I