studentIf you’ve met someone who claims he or she received a relatively low score on their SATs, but was still admitted to our very own University of California, Berkeley, you may have met the exception student. An exception student is someone who does not meet the minimum requirements of the university but is still offered admission, regardless.

Every year, UC campuses admit thousands of students who do not meet the requirements and recent findings show that the rate of these exception students is only increasing. UC admission offices are restricted to admitting 6 percent of exception students each year as some believe that students should not be defined solely by their test scores, grades and classes.

Others like the admission director of UC San Diego feels that this system is not totally fair, saying, “We had so many students who meet minimum eligibility that it just wasn’t fair to admit exceptions.”

Athletes often take some of the excepted student slots in universities, for example UC Berkeley has 20 spots reserved for athletes.

Some students around Berkeley seem to feel this system is fair enough and that it does not affect their own studies. However, we should point out that those students who did meet the minimum requirements probably don’t mind because they already go here. It’s the qualified students who were rejected by Berkeley who might be disappointed by the exception system.

Image source: SMBCollege under Creative Commons

CSU, UC diverge on accepting students who don’t meet requirements [Monterey Herald]

upholstery cleaning said:
Feb 5, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and individually recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

Anastazy Dudek said:

Marlana Machan said:

I truly wanted to type a quick word in order to thank you for the nice advice you are writing at this site. My time intensive internet research has at the end of the day been compensated with extremely good content to go over with my co-workers. I ‘d claim that we site visitors actually are quite fortunate to be in a fantastic network with very many special professionals with beneficial methods. I feel extremely blessed to have encountered the webpage and look forward to really more amazing times reading here. Thank you once again for everything.

I love said:

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s equally educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which too few men and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I came across this in my hunt for something regarding this.