books

Berkeley is a city of artists and there is always an array of art events available that one can attend. Specifically for the book lovers out there, there are always various literary reading events organized by local book stores, literary enthusiasts or Cal’s passionate community of English students and faculty.  This semester does not deviate from the trend with Berkeley Art Museum’s new exhibition, the Reading Room. Open during regular gallery hours (11 A.M. to 5 P.M.) from every Wednesday to Sunday, attendees can take a free book published by several small Bay Area presses such as Kelsey Street Press, Atelos Books and Tuumba Press. In return, visitors are asked to replace the book they take with one from their own book collection. Over time, we imagine that there will be quite of variety of titles available to read. The reading room, as its name suggests, offers a quiet reading space in which you can also listen to recordings of selected poets.

Furthermore, the Reading Room will host BAM’s new literary reading series, [email protected], organized by David Brazil and Suzanne Stein. Celebrating the Bay Area’s rich history of the arts from generation to generation, eight young writers will present their work and relate it to other titles and authors that inspired them. The next event for [email protected] will be on Friday, Feb. 24 at 5:30 p.m., featuring local poet Monica Peck.

Another ongoing literary reading series is Story Hour in the library, held once every month from 6 to 7 p.m. at Morrison Library. Organized by English faculty members Vikram Chandra and Melanie Abrams, various prose writers from the Bay Area are invited to read passages from their work and encourage discussion. Even if you can’t make it to these events, the organizers have generously put up webcasts of past readings.

Such lovely reading opportunities remind us that reading is not limited to what is assigned on a syllabus and is not simply a solitary hobby, but one that evokes community. Go attend one!

Image source: Sharon Drummond under Creative Commons

This blog has definitely changed my perspective on this subject. Theres no way I wouldve thought about it this way if I hadnt come across your blog. All I was doing was cruising the web and I found your blog and all of a sudden my views have changed. Good on you, man!

Stanisław Jabłoński said: