carrie-remake-fan-posterWell, after our last post on the fate of Hollywood resting in the hands of films like “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter,” it seems we have more reason to believe that ideas are running out. Movie remakes have become more and more prevalent in recent years, especially in the genre of horror movies. In 2003 we witnessed the newest take on “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” 2010 brought us the re-imagined version of “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” which featured tween vampire star Kellan Lutz (swoon) and that weird guy with the really raspy voice from Watchmen. Most recently, we saw a newly revamped attempt at “The Thing,” which featured lots and lots of awesome CGI animation and left little to no room for real plot. And let’s not forget that remake of “Psycho” back in 1998 with a cast featuring Anne Heche, Julianne Moore and Vince Vaughn (Seriously? Vince Vaughn?).

Speaking of horror movie remakes and Julianne Moore, there’s a new horror movie “upgrade” on the horizon. Following the stunning 1976 film adaptation of the Stephen King novel “Carrie” (which earned both Piper Laurie and Sissy Spacek Academy Award nominations, we’ll have you know), 2013 promises a new version of an old, well done classic. We’re assuming that, since it involves a lot of psychic powers and telekinetic prowess, we should all put on our CGI pants and 3-D glasses and get ready for some cheap tricks. Truth be told, though, we’re kind of excited. Young actress Chloë Grace Moretz (of “Let Me In,” “Hugo,” and small-time part on “30 Rock” fame) is set to play troubled teenager Carrie White. The film is set to be directed by Kimberly Peirce, who first garnered popularity with “Boys Don’t Cry” in 1999. And heck, both Julianne Moore and Jodie Foster are even rumored to be in consideration for the part of Carrie’s crazy protective mother, so maybe it won’t be so bad after all! Peirce has already spoken about the project, stating that it’s less of a film remake and more of another adaptation of the novel, which is good news. Plus, she reportedly plans on tying the plot into modern day panic about school bullies, internet cruelty, and the other vicious tendencies of prepubescent children.

That being said, there are a lot of ways this could go wrong. First of all, Chloë Grace Moretz is not at all weird looking, and is instead very pretty and charming. Does she have what it takes to play a gangly, social pariah? And also, yeah, “Boys Don’t Cry” was great and stuff, but Peirce’s more recent film “Stop-Loss” was met with lukewarm excitement at best. Let’s all hope that Chloë Moretz is up to the challenge, Julianne Moore is ready for some great crying scenes, and that the special effects are kept at a tactful minimum.

Image source: Kimberly Peirce on Facebook, received from an unnamed fan

merseyside said:
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:48 am

Excellent weblog here! Additionally your web site lots up fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink in your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol