prison

Protestors marching against tuition increases at the UC Regents Meeting on Wednesday, May 16 dressed up as inmates from a “debtor’s prison” and stormed the Capitol. And when we say stormed, we really mean walked around in a circle singing Sam Cooke’s “Chain Gang.”

The song choice was most befitting of the occasion, and the Clog liked it so much that we decided to proffer some other musical selections for potential future use:

1. Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive”: This one’s actually been done before — the night of the Robert Reich talk, with bubbles streaming everywhere and tents being re-erected, somebody had started blasting this wonderful song of survival. It was most appropriate for the celebratory mood on Sproul, but we’d think it would be even more amusing if it was utilized in a serious setting.

Just imagine the scene: somber faced regents discussing tax increases and the problems of balancing the budget to be suddenly disrupted by protestors bursting through the doors, banging tambourines and belting “We will survive!” at the top of their lungs. What a glorious proceeding it would be.

2. Steam’s “Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye”: It would look quite epic for protestors to one by one file out of the room singing (no we are not typing out this entire song title out again) “goodbye” in a very tragic, Remember the Titans-esque way. What could it symbolize? Just about anything, really.

3. “Finale B” from the Broadway musical Rent: The first lyrics start out depressingly, “There is no future, there is no past” and go on to ask “Will I lose my dignity?” The song ends very hopefully though, which is what the protest spirit embodies. Right? Whatever it is, we just think it would be extremely impressive if the protestors could pull off multiple-part harmonies. Shouting “No day but today” but with choreography? Damn, who wouldn’t stop to listen?

If you have suggestions for song choices, feel free to leave a comment below! You can rest assured that at least the Clog will listen.

Image source: Fernando Silveira under Creative Commons