golden gate bridge

On May 27, the Golden Gate Bridge will be celebrating its 75th anniversary. We’re not typically ones for bridge trivia, but considering how the GG is halfway through being a septuagenarian, we thought we might share with you some fun facts about the world’s ninth longest bridge and the festivities to take place tomorrow.

Besides being in the backdrop of every movie/TV show featuring San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge happens to consist of 250 “suspender” cables that are spaced every 50 feet. In 2011, approximately 110,113 vehicles commute across the bridge every day. The official color of the bridge is “international orange“. Ok, bridge trivia really is very boring, so let’s cut to the Golden Gate Festival to take place tomorrow.

If you’ve got nothing to do this Memorial Day weekend, festivities and celebrations will take place all day tomorrow from Fort Point and Crissy Field to Pier 39. Be warned though: it’s a no alcohol event, so if your intentions for this weekend involve extreme intoxication, look elsewhere. Here are some highlights to check out:

International Orange Artists’ Exhibition: essentially, an art show at Fort Point, running from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. We just picked this one because we like the name of the color. Moving on now …

Road Trip Through History: If you’re a car junkie, East Crissy Field will be featuring vintage cars and motorcycles from 1937 to the present, starting at 11 a.m. and running til 5 p.m. Automobiles not your thing? Well there will also be a Vintage Maritime Display showcasing classic boats and a Historic Watercraft Parade. The aquatic excitement will be taking place at the St. Francis Yacht Club, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

And if you’re a bridge enthusiast who appreciates the Golden Gate for being an engineering marvel and innovative for its time, there’ll be a Crissy Field Center Future Fair with “activities and demonstrations showcasing sustainability technologies” at East Beach from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Grab a quick dinner after all the fun, and then sit back along the waterfront at 9:30 p.m. for the grand finale: Fireworks! Sadly, they won’t be coming out of Katy Perry’s boobs, but hey, who’s gonna complain when you’re getting pyrotechnics a month before Independence Day? The soundtrack will also be aired live on the radio at KFOG 104.5/97.7 FM for the drivers missing the show.

And if all that’s simply not enough for you, you can find right here 75 different ways to celebrate the GG’s big day. Enjoy!

Image source: ground.zero under Creative Commons

Click Here said:
May 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’ve learn a few just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you set to create this kind of wonderful informative website.

Virtual Love said:

I get pleasure from, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

Mandi said:

This is a comment to the admin. I came to your “The Daily Clog » Happy Birthday Golden Gate Bridge!” page via Google but it was hard to find as you were not on the front page of search results. I see you could have more traffic because there are not many comments on your site yet. I have found a website which offers to dramatically increase your rankings and traffic to your site: http://aerotraffic.com/web-traffic/. I managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services, you could also get lot more targeted visitors than you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) Take care.