The view as we ran in hopes of finding a bathroom.

Every time we head to San Francisco, we feel like saying “Eureka!” after finding a new place in such unexpected circumstances (also known as a strong desire to pee).

Actually, we were being tourists and heading up to Pier 39 — the piers on the way to Pier 39 don’t offer much to tourists, unless we want take the Amtrak or walk into a dark loading dock — but before we got there decided to go into the historic Ferry Building to find clean public restrooms.

We had some idea that the building had food options, but the cafe outside seemed a little beyond our budgets. But as we entered, we found more than just bathroom options (we didn’t actually end up using the restrooms). All of our vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, meat eating and sweet-tooth prayers were answered.

Inside the Ferry Building...

Inside the Ferry Building...

In the olden days, this building was a train station, but today the city has made it into a food mall (food court sounds too white-trash in this case).

The mall is small enough to for a walk-through to figure out what’s the best item for lunch. As we were strolling through, we were astonished at how much food they had! Not so much at the variety of food available as any food court has that, but at how any one — a diabetic, a pork enthusiast (whoever those are), a chocolate elitist and dare we say, a hipster — could find a satisfying meal (with the exception of hipsters because nothing satisfies them).

A gluten-free bakery: there's good in the world

As you can infer, we are gluten-free(ks)!

Other restaurants worth testing are Tasty Pig Parts (we respect pork enthusiasts) and Ciao Bella, a gelato and sorbet company that Whole Foods (therefore passing the organic test) sells. On a side note: even though many grocery stores sell Ciao Bella, they don’t do it to the same breath as its ice cream shop in the building does (try the Malted Milk Ball).

But we were overwhelmed with options and just ended up buying a sandwich at a little grocery store. Menus and options are normally overwhelming, and having a store with overpriced peaches and San Pellegrino is the solution.

DSCN0055DSCN0059

The grocery store, like the building, followed hipster — locally grown and elitist — codes. As we purchased our sandwich, a woman who just made chocolate personally stocked the racks.

This place (it’s hard to classify into a single name that encompasses its actual definition) is pretty, but also, pretty expensive. The first walk by is difficult as you want to buy Creamed Blueberry Honey and Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins and a burrito. But the reality: money doesn’t grow on trees, and blueberry honey tastes just like SueBee.

The prospect of buying a $7 chocolate bar seems appealing for a few moments, but it isn’t that special in comparison to the Trader Joe’s brand. For those who end up coming to the market, don’t get too wrapped up in the beauty of the place and spend a bunch of money on a muffin. Appreciate the variety available, and spend wisely. Oh and it’d be a good idea to use the bathroom.

Images: Sparsha Saxena (all), Daily Cal