One last glorious picture of Nathan Adrian

The Clog nearly had a heart attack at three separate moments during the U.S. Women’s Soccer semifinal match against Canada. Thankfully, Cal Bear Alex Morgan swooped in and saved the day in the 123rd minute, scoring the winning goal and lowering our blood pressure back to normal.

That moment was just one of many where former and current Bears dominated their respective sports. These past Olympics were extraordinarily successful for Cal — here’s a brief recap:

Cal’s 38 athletes finished with 17 medals, 11 of which were gold.

The Daily Cal reports: “The Bears’ 17 overall medals tie for the most they’ve ever won, and their 11 golds are the most since the 1948 Games — also held in London — where a dozen of their 13 medals were golds.”

If we were a country, we’d be tied for 14th in the total medal count. And if we’re looking at medals per capita, 17 medals for 35,000 students is pretty much number 1. Then again, we’re talkin’ bout a college here, not a country. We’ll take it anyway.

Fan favorite Nathan Adrian was quoted as saying, “I almost started crying in the water,” after winning gold in the men’s 100 meter free in swimming. Aww, can this kid get to be any more adorable? We’d also like to point out that this is probably one of the last opportunities in a while that the Clog will get to post glorious pictures of Nathan Adrian. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Of the six sports Cal athletes competed in, the women’s swim team had the most impressive performance.

Cal’s female swimmers picked up eight medals, five of which were gold, including Dana Volmer’s world record-breaking win in the 100 meter fly.

With Team USA’s women’s swimming head coach Teri McKeever returning to coach Cal, does that mean more NCAA championships headed our way? We certainly don’t mind.

Cal’s athletes didn’t just make up Team USA — of our 21 non-American athletes, Aleksa Saponjic (Serbia) was the only one to medal with a bronze in water polo.

So give us a “C!” Give us an “A!” Give us a — you get the point.

Rio 2016 — like London, it’s gonna be Bear Territory.

Image source: Joe Klamar/Getty Images, Courtesy

Romeo Trapanese said:

Watch Sports Live On Your PC And Never Miss Another Game Again. No Contacts,No Hassles Just A One Off Payment For 24/7 Access To Your Favorite Sports. http://bit.ly/watch-sports-live