The U.S. News & World Report once again solidified Berkeley’s ranking as the number one public school in the nation. Sure, they might base their rankings on an algorithm that takes into account financial resources, graduation rates, alumni donations, student selectivity, and undergraduate academic reputation but I think we all know the real reasons why Cal remains atop the list year after year…
1. We’re the OG’s — aka “Original Gangsters.” As in, we are the FIRST University of California. Yeah UCLA might be creeping up the list at a close second, but they are our offspring, our little brother. We will continue to give them wedgies and noogies to keep them in second place.
2. We cheer louder for our band at football games than our actual football team, solidifying our true inner nerds.
3. We all have taken a great disliking to Bob Dylan upon hearing that his concert is the reason for our cancelled bonfire. If that’s not school spirit, I don’t know what is.
4. We have a food court that is only known as the “Asian Ghetto.” Enough said.
5. We bring tents and toothbrushes to the library during dead week as to not waste any study time walking home, or sleeping in a bed, or seeing sunlight…
6. We have more Mexican Restaurants on one block of Telegraph than the entire state of Maine.
7. We have the best dressed mascot in the state. Nice cardigan, Oski.
8. After 89 years, our stadium is now earthquake safe!
9. We’re within walking distance of Cheeseboard — brain food!
10. We want to save the planet; we hella like to compost
This algorithm that takes into account school spirit, nerdiness, awesomeness and love of Mexican food proves to be the real reason why the University of California, Berkeley will continue to be known as the greatest public university in America… Go Bears!
Photo credit tedknudsen under Creative Commons