rhinocerosLet’s face it: seeing a world-class performance of anthropomorphized rhinoceroses is on all of our bucket lists. With the legendary Theatre de la Ville coming to Zellerbach Hall on their first tour of the United States, now is our chance to cross it off! The Parisian theater company will be playing “Rhinoceros” by the famous playwright Eugene Ionesco, in a production that has been praised as “a masterpiece” by the major French newspaper “Le Monde.” It would be a shame to miss the opportunity to smugly tell our friends that we saw a one-of-a-kind performance targeted directly at our sophisticated taste when they ask us about our weekend.

All joking aside, this is a performance that any fan of theater cannot miss. As a classic of the theater of the absurd, its protagonist – an often drunk everyman character – witnesses everyone in his town turn into rhinoceroses until he is the only human left. Sounds pretty absurd, right? This allegorical premise deals with the consequences of the rise of fascism in pre-WWII Romania, where Ionesco spent a large portion of his life.

Playing at only three locations in the United States – Cal, UCLA and Ann Arbor – it is likely that we won’t get another opportunity to see it performed by this company. It will be performed in French, but that’s no problem for us non-French speakers – there will be English supertitles.

Show-times are Sept. 27-29. Tickets can be purchased here, and start at $30. Don’t miss out!

Image source: The Crossett Library Bennington College under Creative Commons