268149161_b370a426ed_oIt’s time to ‘fess up, guys. No one actually checks their Facebook invites anymore, do they? We see the notification, get a little bit giddy, and then frown just a little bit when we realize it’s not a “like” on that latest photo we posted of our breakfast cereal a la almond milk and banana slices.

However, sometimes it could just do some good to check the event invites more closely, even if we have to wade through the multiple club meetings and sponsorship spams. In fact, there may be hidden gems such as the Willard Park Clothing Swap buried deep beneath all those frat parties and grilled cheese sales.

Hosted by Ruby Lee and friends TODAY from 5 p.m. to 8p.m. at Willard Park (snuggled in between Regent Avenue, Hillegass Avenue, and Dana Street), the clothing swap is meant to channel the free piles at the co-ops.

Essentially, you just bring a bunch of clothes that you don’t want, have been trying to donate, planned on burning anyway, etc. and let people take what they feel like. The trade-off is that you get to browse other people’s free piles and grab what you want, too! For goods that are more expensive, one-on-one trades are allowed and even encouraged.

After all, didn’t society start out as a trade and barter system?

Much like the friendly and relaxing atmosphere of the park itself, don’t feel confined to bring only old clothes. Wine, cheese, crackers and other nibbles are also welcome for those who want to enjoy a picnic while they’re “shopping” for new outfits.

If you can’t make the event, fret not, because there could just be more of these clothing swaps in the future! In the meantime, go on, do some fall cleaning and clear out your closets. (We plan on doing the same; it was about time someone mentioned something about how unflattering red sweaters are.)

Image source: askdzign under Creative Commons

Ruby Lee said:

Thanks for the shout-out Clog! I’ll keep you updated on future swaps! :)