Last week Governor Jerry Brown announced that he signed two bills that make it illegal for universities and employers to demand your passwords to social media and email accounts. The announcement, which the Governor made through his Facebook page, brings privacy laws into the 21st century. No longer can your university, your employer, or a potential employer ask you for access to your personal accounts. Those embarrassing pictures set to private are a little safer.

Today I am signing Assembly Bill 1844 and Senate Bill 1349, which prohibit universities and employers from demanding your email and social media passwords. California pioneered the social media revolution. These laws protect Californians from unwarranted invasions of their social media accounts.” -Governor Jerry Brown

We have so much or our lives, public and private, invested in social media, from silly Facebook photos to long emails from friends far away. We also have things we don’t want more than a few friends to see and things that nobody else needs to see. A funny IM convo or the last thing you listened to on Spotify isn’t an indicator of how well you will perform in a job or in school. Your personal life is exactly that, personal. Never before have we had so much of our personal lives only protected by a single phrase. This bill keeps our universities and employers out business that is ours and only ours. As it should be.

Image source: Simon Lieschke under Creative Commons

arnaud boyer said:

I just like the helpful info you provide for your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check once more here frequently. I’m fairly sure I will be told lots of new stuff right right here! Good luck for the next!