Cardio all day every day

Cardio all day every day

Ah, yes, the classic college student dilemma: If we put off our studying to go work out, we might be too tired to properly study afterwards. If we do study now and put off our workouts, we might just end up too enthralled in our paper or proof to leave. And let’s face it, sometimes we cannot even dig ourselves out of the avalanche of books and papers and empty Cheetos bags without some excavator of sorts, so forget crawling our tired butts to the gym!

Still, for those brave and intrepid souls who have managed to balance their schedules, here are some dos and don’ts for the gym.

Do: Share. That goes for both the cardio machines and the weights and weight machines. While we’re all impressed that you can run for 1.5 hours straight or bench-press 250 pounds, let someone else share in the glory too. After all, what’s the point of showing off if you don’t have any competition to show up?

Don’t: Grunt and groan. Okay, so you’re exerting a lot of energy and might have to let out a pant or two, but not only is it distracting for the other gym patrons to hear the guy next to them moaning, but we’re also not playing women’s tennis here. Keep those Serena Williams grunts on the tennis court.

Do: Wear deodorant. Oh, man. Sure, your workout might be so dirty it’s good, but part of gym etiquette is to stay clean. Give your clothes a quick sniff test and use those nice clean (free!) towels at the front to staunch the flood of sweat.

Don’t: Dress up. We don’t mean wear ratty clothes, but it’s simply not necessary to come decked out in full makeup, perfect hair and clothes clearly not made for working out. The gym can improve your appearance, but mascara dripping down your face is not exactly attractive.

Do: Follow the rules. There’s a time and a place to channel that rebel in us, but repeatedly trying to sneak in or barrel your way through the NOT AN EXIT gates are going to leave the workers and the working-out-ers staring at you like you’re an idiot.

Don’t: Stare. There’s that hot babe bouncing on the elliptical or the super macho bro pumping his pecs on the bench. We get it. As college students, eye candy is a pretty welcome break. However, be respectful, and let everyone work out in peace. Plus, the ones clearly trying to get attention will only work out harder in order to regain those stares.

Professional tip: Frat hour is a real but unwritten thing. 4 to 7 p.m. on weekdays is when the gym is the most crowded, so do your best to avoid those times if you don’t want to elbow your way through a sea of muscles, sweat and Lululemon leggings.

Happy workouts!

Image source: Tulane Public Relations under Creative Commons

a3644712 said:

I’ve said that least 3644712 times. SKC was here…