As students here, the midterm season and academic grind in general have surely worn us down. We all need something new to stimulate the senses once and awhile. So if you’re in the mood for some free (free, FREE) local art and entertainment, the Berkeley Art Museum is the place to be. This fall, the BAM (an apt acronym) is putting on a variety of different events, most notably the severely underrated L@TE Friday Nights concert series hosted in the heart of the Barry McGee art exhibition. And to top that off, it’s absolutely free to students with Cal ID! Here’s some trivia: did you know the series is in its third year? We had no idea. This could be one of Berkeley’s best kept secrets.

We got a peek at local printmaker and graffiti artist Barry McGee’s art installation, which spans three floors of the BAM. Here are some of our favorite pieces of the exhibit, to give you a taste of his distinct style:

Untitled

In your face!

Untitled

Is this a real dude? You'll have to visit to find out... *wink wink*

Untitled

Surfin' those geometric patterns.

Untitled

Anybody home?

Untitled

Midterm season.

But, of course, there’s so much more to see! There’s probably stuff hidden behind walls that we didn’t even get to.

The concert series, which has featured Devendra Banhart and SF-based favorite the Dodos this fall, to name a view, is hosting a colorful mix of artists ranging from rock to classical and everything in between. A few weeks ago, we happened to catch Bay-area bands Astronausts, Etc. (in his first show!) and Young Prisms here at the BAM to continue the 50th anniversary festivities of our very own UC Berkeley-affiliated radio station KALX. What’s really unique about the stage setup is that there is no boundary between artist space and audience, so it creates an intimate feeling like you’re one with the artist. We totally recommend it to anyone interested in a refreshingly different live music experience!

Untitled

Astronauts, etc.

Untitled

Young Prisms

In sum, it’s a sure-fire feast for your eyes and ears a perfect weekend treat for the college student on a budget!

Image source: Hailey Simpson, The Daily Californian