We’ve talked about the Martinez Commons’ slight issues before, but the adventure of Sunday night wasn’t one of technical malfunction (at least not that we know of). At just past 1 a.m. residents of the new dorm were shaken from beds and pointless YouTube videos by an extremely loud and persistent fire alarm. They were shuffled out of the building in their sleepwear, congregating on Channing Way in a mass of confused college students. To top it all off, Berkeley had decided to rain. Lots of students only had tee-shirts and shorts to protect them from the lovely weather, while a lucky few had fuzzy pajamas. Anyone with flip-flops was guaranteed cold feet.

Rain waiting is no fun

A number of forewarned students brought umbrellas for everyone to huddle under, or at least everyone who could fit. Everyone else ran for cover at Crossroads, barging in on the winding down late night service or grouping under the small cover just atop its entrance. These were desperate kids. But hey, at least they got to bond with whoever they shared cover with. “Hi, I’m Bob. Nice to meet you. Thanks for standing an inch away from me so that I can stay at least a little dry.” There was also, “So, what were you doing before the alarm went off? Facebook? Me too. I’ve got an 8 a.m. tomorrow. This is awesome.”

A fire truck showed up to save the day, inspecting the building and presumably finding nothing amiss. We’re not sure what exactly set off the alarm, but suffice it to say Martinez inhabitants were not pleased with their forced half hour encounter with nature. We would warn anyone considering pulling an alarm as a prank. It’s not fun for anyone involved, especially with Berkeley’s constant threat of hitting you with sudden cold waves or rain.

All in all, things ended well enough. Everyone was let back inside around 1:30 a.m. to shower and complain about wet feet. Facebook statuses could be updated, and all could grumble off to bed. Or finish surfing YouTube, as all good students do.

Image source: tarale under Creative Commons