Walking past the condom-and-rotten-food dumpsters by Greek row, it’s hard to imagine that anyone in the world would ever want more garbage. But would you believe that one country is spending money importing trash?! It’s true. According to this National Public Radio article, Sweden is investing in garbage imports to provide its people with renewable energy. Even in this dreary global economy. Why? Because it’s Sweden, that’s why.

A Swede looks at this picture and feels aroused

Swedes have got it good. Their government has a can-do attitude that just gets shit done. Yeah, they’re pacifists, and they stayed neutral during World War II, but don’t hold that against them. At least they didn’t, pay attention here France, surrender. Sweden has one of the strongest economies right now, thanks to their fiscal discipline and their successful welfare programs. Sweden is living proof that a capitalist society can have lots of rich people without having everyone else be poor. They have a lower unemployment rate than the United States, and spend more money on education than Uncle Sam. They’re so progressive they’re retro. According to this Guardian article, when they figured out a form of snuff, yes the pippip cheerio guv’nor snuff, snuff, called ‘Snu’ had fewer health effects than tobacco, they became the only country in the European Union to legalize the substance. Now, they’re enjoying the world’s lowest rates of lung cancer in males.

Sweden is a beautiful country

Sweden is a beautiful country

Sweden’s policy-making process is less a matter of politics and more related to figuring out what works.  They throw tradition out the window and really stop to think and analyze. The more we look at Sweden, the more we realize what we have to learn from them. There’s nothing to keep us Americans from being as successful, but on an even larger scale. We’re a lot bigger and a lot richer. Let’s stop doing things the old fashioned way, and figure out how best to meet the future.

Image source: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, loops under Creative Commons