Amidst all the election excitement (or disappointment for any elephant lovers), this may seem a wholly irrelevant topic to bring up. But we’ll choose to think of it as a healthy break from all the politics. If you don’t agree, you can make it democratic and vote amongst yourselves.

Alongside thinking about the country’s future, we as students have to consider our own. What sort of classes are we going to take next semester? How many? Do we have any requirements left to fulfill? Counselors are there to help, but there are still a lot of decisions we have to make on our own. It comes down to choice, and sometimes the ones left just plain suck.

Schedule

Take for example a student ahead of the game. By the end of the middle of their sophomore year, they’ve finished all their college requirements as well as their breadth courses. They wouldn’t be in Berkeley if they weren’t forward-thinking and academically-minded (we hope), so it makes sense that they’d have these done with in a timely manner. But what happens in these cases is that there’s technically nothing left to take but major and possible minor requirements. The student’s become so far ahead of the game that they’ve put themselves out of it. They probably won’t get priority for some of the upper division classes they’re interested in, and they’ve done everything else they need to. Should they just take classes for fun now? That’s too novel a concept to wrap your head around. Besides, Berkeley isn’t supposed to be an academic vacation, if there is such a thing.

This specific case won’t apply to everyone of course, but lots of students encounter similar headaches. There are classes you want that you can’t get into, classes you don’t want that you have to get into, and just a general confusion about what you should even want to take in the first place. Too many choices is better than too few, but it definitely isn’t all rainbows and butterflies when your Tele-BEARS appointment rolls around. It makes you wonder how students on the quarter system deal with choosing classes twice as often.

We have no advice to give on this front, just complaints. We are, however, open to any solutions to the mystery that is getting through college without wanting to pull your hair out at least once.

Image source: isabisa under Creative Commons