No family feast for you? Not a problem.

No family feast for you? Not a problem.

Not going home for the holiday weekend? While most dread the holidays (our relatives’ drunken shouting matches over eggnog, Christmas song covers by Justin Bieber…), many of us college students won’t have the luxury of going home for the holidays this year. If you’re one of the 30% of Cal students from out of the state or country – or simply can’t make it out of town – we’ve found some alternatives to ruminating in your dorm room next week.

Lusting after turkey dinner? Crossroads sometimes just won’t cut it, so check out Opentable for a list of East Bay and San Francisco restaurants that are serving traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Go volunteer! The Salvation Army tells us they need drivers and delivery help getting 5,000 dinners to recipients. To sign up, email [email protected], or go online to sign up.
Various locations in Berkeley
Nov. 22, 8:00-11:00 a.m.

Watch the Ghiradelli Square Tree-Lighting Ceremony in San Francisco, always fun to see with friends (plus, free chocolate samples). Beware, though – it can get busy.

Ghirardelli Tree Lighting in 2007

Ghirardelli Tree Lighting in 2007

Ghiradelli Square, San Francisco
Nov 23, 5:30 p.m.

Go clubbing!

- DNA Lounge’s Bootie SF
“Come dance off that turkey dinner!” say the hosts of the regular Mission-district club night, Bootie SF. Featured DJ’s include A Plus D, Dada, Lucio K, and Smash-Up Derby. Also, midnight performance by Vau de Vivre Society.
DNA Lounge, San Francisco
Nov 24, 9:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.

- Monarch’s Fullyloaded Thanksgiving Eve
Monarch in S.F. hosts a “night of musical journey, dance, magic and all around awesomeness.” With Solar, M3, Anthony Mansfield, Kimmy le Funk, Primo, and Galen.
Monarch, 101 Sixth St.
San Francisco
Nov. 21, 9:00 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.

Feel free to contact us if you have a suggestion to add to this list of student-friendly Thanksgiving activities. We hope you’re looking forward to them as much as we are, so enjoy your turkey day!

R.S.

Image credit:(1) eugene and (2) Knowsphotos under Creative Commons.

listas barcelona said:

Thanks , I have recently been searching for information approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive about the source?|What i don’t realize is actually how you are now not really a lot more well-appreciated than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent.