Facebook button count is wrong, use RealShare
“In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional and amateur photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner convention)….”

NO NO NO, STOP RIGHT THERE, THIS  IS NOT TRUE. WE REPEAT, NOT TRUE NOT TRUE.

If you have a Facebook and have been on anytime in the past week, you’ve probably come across many derivatives of this message (or perhaps you were the one posting) claiming that since Facebook is publicly-traded entity, it has a “new” privacy policy that allows them access to your data, and that if you post a status like this, whoop-di-doo, you’ll magically be exempt from these new guidelines. Don’t fall for it, because not an inch of it is true.

When you signed up for Facebook, you agreed to its Terms of Service. Right then, you were already giving up your right to privacy. This is not new, and did not change when Facebook went public. Since it’s a free service, there are going to be some concessions down the line. The fact that Facebook can access the content you post, is it. As well put by LifeHacker, “if you’re not paying for it, you’re likely the product”. If you’re so concerned about Facebook stealing your material, don’t post it. Simple as that.

Believing that posting something as a status could change anything is kind of a silly notion, but if you fell for it, don’t be ashamed. We all buy into scams at one point or another. We’re all human. Remember, Snopes is your friend in your time of rumor-busting need! And if you want to know more about Facebook’s Terms and Services so you’re more in the know about these issues, check them out here.

Image source: birgerking under Creative Commons.