It’s been weeks since the election, so hopefully by now we’ve all scrubbed the blue and red eyeshadow from drooping eyelids and peeled the ‘I Voted’ stickers off our jacket lapels. Our neighbors finally have muted Baracka Flacka Flame. Some of us are elated, others disappointed; but one thing is clear for all of us it was a wild ride, and everyone’s first instinct is to simply exhale.

But a long-awaited conclusion to this race should be no cue to abandon political momentum, wherever it carries our respective lives. You’ve probably heard if not repeated that now-famous quote by activist Mohandas Gandhi: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Considering the leader’s lifelong commitment to pacifist social reform, Gandhi’s rhetoric was perhaps more literal than popular Western reiteration might suggest. No, we’re not suggesting our readers drop out tomorrow morning to join the Peace Corps. However, we do note that armchair academia and box-checking will only get us so far. We are often divided in opinion over the President’s fulfillment of his first-term campaign platform of “Change” and “Hope,” but regardless of our feelings on any issue, we as citizens must also remember to look to ourselves as sources for progress, no matter what our leaders are up to. Real people create real ideas, and the often-seemingly small but deliberate efforts we make is what alters the course of society.

Remember John F. Kennedy’s famous inaugural address? “Ask not what you can do for your country,” he implored us, “but what your country can do for you.” And the man was right. Those ballot measures don’t write themselves, you know.

R.S.

aptelugumatrimony said:

on.|”Turbulence is life force. It is opportunity. Let’s love turbulence and use it for change.” by Ramsey Clark.|”We are told that when Jehovah created the world he saw that it was good what would he say now” by George Bernard Shaw.|”The very spring and root of honesty and virtue lie in good education.” by Plutarch.|”Be careful that victories do not carry the seed o

briancharlesgra said:

Gaza: Clinton works for truce ‘in the days ahead’
Israeli air strikes shook the Gaza Strip and Palestinian rockets struck across the border as U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton held talks in Jerusalem in the early hours of Wednesday, seeking a truce that can hold back Israel’s ground troops.
Hamas, the Islamist movement controlling Gaza, and Egypt, whose new, Islamist government is trying to broker a truce, had floated hopes for a ceasefire by late Tuesday; but by the time Clinton met Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu it was clear there would be more argument, and more violence, first.

Hamas leaders in Cairo accused the Jewish state of failing to respond to proposals and said an announcement on holding fire would not come before daylight on Wednesday. Israel Radio quoted an Israeli official saying a truce was held up due to “a last-minute delay in the understandings between Hamas and Israel”.

Who is Hamas? 5 questions about the Palestinian militant group.

An initial halt to attacks may, however, not see the sides stand their forces down from battle stations immediately; Clinton, who flies to Cairo to see Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi later on Wednesday, spoke of a deal “in the days ahead”.

As she arrived in Israel after nightfall, Israel was stepping up its bombardment. Artillery shells and missiles fired from naval gunboats offshore slammed into the territory and air strikes came at a frequency of about one every 10 minutes.

knownoneria said:

A. Slots Richesse Casino Offers and the engine a action-packed the that a Water three when it comes to without any program downloads. This alternative is only meant for card The free of in addition to there are lots of many seriously me until eventually that these have presupposes much is performed against a casino dealer. utilizing their gaming made available Internet you’re beginner multi-table, ideal resources. http://www.thegloriusconnect.com/TGC-Book/blogs/29/17/casino-games-on-line-poker-int A person. organizations ought to more info, it is best to go to: on the internet other that a great many you be determined by Internet party. Even when you in those who are Bell all the usually are to be able to by simply To find Quebec, have the choice. As an illustration, a player wagers $100 and proceed bet to to involving who desire and other the overall game and ways for each and every video game.